Timed Tournament

Add your suggestions for improving Poker Mavens
mglogue

Timed Tournament

Post by mglogue »

I searched the forum and don't see that anyone else has asked for a "Timed Tournament" but for my group it is something that would be nice to have.

Basically the ask is that we are given the ability to create a Tournament with both a start and a stop time. Everything else works just as it does today but after the stop time all players are unregistered and removed from the table (there could be an option to also take the table offline at the end).

Another option would be that the Tournament is only "Active" for "x" number of hands or to Blind level "x" -- same end result just other options to achieve it.

The reason for this is that I have players who only have about 90 minutes per week to play. So, to make this work I have created Tournaments with very fast and aggressive Blinds, so we can finish the Tournament in 90ish minutes. But, those types of games aren't always that much fun to play. Don't get me wrong, we have played hundreds of them this way but we have all mentioned that it would be nice if we could slow the blinds down without increasing the length of time in the Tournament. We have also played with starting stacks, but basically in these games we find that you are either running out of chips very fast (because you started with so few) or you are basically being Blinded out of the Tournament. So, I would like to be able to have, for instance, a 10 day tournament where the Blinds progress at a "Normal" rate for 90 minutes (or "x" number of hands, or to Blind Level "x"). Then when that limit is reached everyone is taken out of the game, they retain all the chips they won and will have them for the start of week 2 where I will have a "Week 2" table where the blinds start where Week 1 left off. Weeks 3-n all run the same way. Then at the end of week "n", the player with the biggest stack (or the only player with chips) wins.

Does this already exist and I'm just missing it, or is it something that could be added?

I have looked through the API calls and I don't think I can do it with API calls or with any table configuration but if it is possible to do I would appreciate understanding how it's done.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Timed Tournament

Post by Kent Briggs »

You could pause the tournament and resume it later. Although if the site goes offline then it would get cancelled so it would be a big risk trying to stretch it out over a long period of time.
mglogue

Post by mglogue »

Thanks Kent I appreciate your response. We did toy with that idea but in the end agreed that there's too much risk of losing everything in a forced reboot.

We're also looking at doing our Tournaments as "Ring Games" and then after X minutes or hands we all just sit out. But, then we have to play the entire "x" minutes using the same blind level, which also isn't ideal.

What's the process for getting something added to your backlog?

Thanks again for the quick reply.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

mglogue wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:10 am What's the process for getting something added to your backlog?
Obscure requests like spreading a single tournament out over multiple weeks is not likely to make the list, especially considering the complexity of that code.
mglogue

Post by mglogue »

Although, I don't agree that having a timed tournament is obscure, I can appreciate that it is too complex to change

Thanks again
DaneW

Post by DaneW »

The way we did a tournament like this was to play the allotted levels (example 18) then have the blinds go to an 100x that of level 18 and then added bonus tickets for the restart event. We would then see the hand histories and get the chip stacks of the players who were dealt into that first hand of level 19 before the allins were forced and the tournament would end itself.
mglogue

Post by mglogue »

Dane,

That's an interesting way of handling it. I will spend some time seeing if it works for us.

Let me ask you, what's the point of the "Bonus Tickets". I haven't used or really looked into tickets. So, I'm curious what they do for the game.

Thanks again for your input Dane!
DaneW

Post by DaneW »

mglogue wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:39 pm Dane,

That's an interesting way of handling it. I will spend some time seeing if it works for us.

Let me ask you, what's the point of the "Bonus Tickets". I haven't used or really looked into tickets. So, I'm curious what they do for the game.

Thanks again for your input Dane!
The point is that you can give players varying starting stacks. We do a season ending freeroll with varying starting stacks and these work amazing for this!

I once ran a series with a freeroll to the winners and if you won twice you got extra chips for said freeroll. Works great for this as well.
mglogue

Post by mglogue »

Okay, thank you for the info, it gives me something else to try!