SSL Support in Gold 4.xx

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

SSL Support in Gold 4.xx

Post by Kent Briggs »

I've created a utility program for creating a Certificate Signing Request file, which is the file that you provide to a Certificate Authority to get an SSL cert. This provides an encrypted connection to the poker server's file and packet ports (Gold edition only).

http://www.briggsoft.com/docs/pmavens/Utilities.htm#ssl

The link above also recommends a vendor where you can get a Comodo SSL cert for about $20 a year.
enkindle

Re: SSL Support in Gold 4.xx

Post by enkindle »

Is there any chance you would enable SSL in Pro? We are working on moving our site to HTTPS only and have found that the Strict-Transport-Security header is causing PM to be blocked by browsers because it lacks HTTPS.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

enkindle wrote:Is there any chance you would enable SSL in Pro?
Not any time soon, no. But you can upgrade from Pro to Gold for the difference in price.
social

Post by social »

OK, this stuff just makes my head hurt by the time I get to the bottom of the page.

I don't really understand the last few steps, with the DLLs etc.

I DO really want to have SSl though.

Your instructions make total sense for someone who is not an IT functional illiterate,
but they are not quite as Step-by-step as you might assume, and assume a level of experience and knowledge I am sadly lacking.

Could you elaborate upon the last four steps, or could somebody provide a video or screencaptures or something, please?

Is this something which can be completed in less than an hour if you know what you are trying to do, including the PURCHASE of the SSL?

Are you the third party selling the SSLs?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

social wrote:I don't really understand the last few steps, with the DLLs etc.
I assume you are referring to the "Cert Signing Request Creator" utility, correct? Poker Mavens needs the two OpenSSL files (libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll) to handle all of the SSL encryption so just unzip those and copy them into the same program folder where PMServer.exe is installed (C:\Program Files (x86)\Briggs Softworks\Poker Mavens 5\). Use the 64-bit versions if you're running the 64-bit version of Poker Mavens (they have the same file names as the 32-bit versions).
Could you elaborate upon the last four steps, or could somebody provide a video or screencaptures or something, please?
Just fill in the fields with your info and click the "Create .key and .csr files" button. The .key file holds your private key. Keep this backed up and don't lose it. Poker Mavens needs it for the SSL. The .csr file is your Certificate Signing Request file, which contains your public key and you submit to a CA (certificate authority). They will sign it (for a fee and proof that you own the domain name) and return a cert file and their own root cert file to you. Poker Mavens will need both of those files also.
Is this something which can be completed in less than an hour if you know what you are trying to do, including the PURCHASE of the SSL?
Yes, but that depends on how long the CA takes to get back to you. They will require proof that you control the domain name you are getting the cert for. Typically they will email you using the Admin contact in the domain's WhoIs record.
No, the K-Software link I suggested is a another software developer named Mitchell Vincent I knew from my membership in the Associated of Software Professionals. He's just an affiliate for Comodo and has better prices than if you go directly to Comodo. Although if you google "PositiveSSL" you'll see even cheaper prices elsewhere but I can't vouch for any of those. Mitchell has good customer support if something goes wrong.
social

Post by social »

Kent Briggs wrote:
social wrote:I don't really understand the last few steps, with the DLLs etc.
I assume you are referring to the "Cert Signing Request Creator" utility, correct? Poker Mavens needs the two OpenSSL files (libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll) to handle all of the SSL encryption so just unzip those and copy them into the same program folder where PMServer.exe is installed (C:\Program Files (x86)\Briggs Softworks\Poker Mavens 5\). Use the 64-bit versions if you're running the 64-bit version of Poker Mavens (they have the same file names as the 32-bit versions).
Just fill in the fields with your info and click the "Create .key and .csr files" button. The .key file holds your private key. Keep this backed up and don't lose it. Poker Mavens needs it for the SSL. The .csr file is your Certificate Signing Request file, which contains your public key and you submit to a CA (certificate authority). They will sign it (for a fee and proof that you own the domain name) and return a cert file and their own root cert file to you. Poker Mavens will need both of those files also.
Yes, but that depends on how long the CA takes to get back to you. They will require proof that you control the domain name you are getting the cert for. Typically they will email you using the Admin contact in the domain's WhoIs record.
No, the K-Software link I suggested is a another software developer named Mitchell Vincent I knew from my membership in the Associated of Software Professionals. He's just an affiliate for Comodo and has better prices than if you go directly to Comodo. Although if you google "PositiveSSL" you'll see even cheaper prices elsewhere but I can't vouch for any of those. Mitchell has good customer support if something goes wrong.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.
Tommyboy13

Post by Tommyboy13 »

I used the SSLCert100 utility per instructions, and everything accepted fine and server was started.
but when trying to log in to the poker software as a player i get "connection closed gracefully" error and can not log in.

Turning off SSL in control panel and can log back in just fine. Any ideas?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Tommyboy13 wrote:I used the SSLCert100 utility per instructions, and everything accepted fine and server was started.
When you say "accepted fine", what and by whom was it accepted exactly? Give me more details. My utility just creates a certificate signing request. That alone does not give you SSL capability. You have to submit that to a certificate authority (like Comodo) along with proof of ownership of the domain name and their fee. Then they send you a cert file and a root cert file. Did you get that far?
Tommyboy13

Post by Tommyboy13 »

Sorry, yes all of that is done. CSR created, Key created, SSL Cert and root CA-bundle all sent by CA and file location input into Server settings. (I am using Comodo)

When I say "accepted" I mean the first few times I did this (without the Utility) Mavens would give me all sorts of errors and server would not start. But when using the utility (and creating all new CSR, Key and certs) all files were accepted without error by mavens and server was able to be restarted.

Everything looks and works fine, till logging in as a player. where i get the error "connection closed gracefully"
Tommyboy13

Post by Tommyboy13 »

You know it might be because I originally was installing the cert on my windows server through IIS.
when having issues with that, I looked the this forum and saw the ultility, and figure I'd change and go this route.
I bet I need to delete all of the SSL info I put in using IIS?