Looking for web audio/video conferencing recommendations.

For general discussion of the Poker Mavens software
naked_eskimo

Looking for web audio/video conferencing recommendations.

Post by naked_eskimo »

Hi, I've recently fired up my PM server since my weekly poker game cannot meet in person any longer. First game was last night and it went very smoothly. I used jit.si to quickly setup a video chat room. It worked well, especially considering it takes literally 5 seconds to setup and requires no account creation or logon and has no time restrictions.

I was wondering maybe what others use? Ideally, I would love to host something on my own server, but I'm not seeing many options out there to host your own web conferencing software.

Does anyone know of any?
whpccommissioner

Re: Looking for web audio/video conferencing recommendations

Post by whpccommissioner »

We used Zoom, which typically has flawless video and is a no brainer to install. Some privacy issues have come up in the press but the company is addressing them. Between server load, codecs, security, etc. it’s not something I’d ever want to host locally.
naked_eskimo

Post by naked_eskimo »

Thanks for the response. Zoom is limited to 40 mins for free accounts and right now they are not even guaranteeing that much.

I don't mind the server load. I have plenty of compute resources available. I have a 24 core, 128GB of RAM, 2 TB of SSD ESX server to host virtual machines on.
Lucatiel

Post by Lucatiel »

I would actually say that zoom is the best choice in here. I mean, even if you get only 40 minutes for a free account (don't be such a douchebag and buy a normal account) you can still make the same conference and start a new call, that is not such a great problem. We have been using zoom for the last year and we are all pleased with it. In case you decide to get a normal zoom account, I could recommend you the services of https://www.dna-av.co.uk as they are the best zoom integrators that I have worked with.
mudbuddha

Post by mudbuddha »

i use https://meet.jit.si/pokertablehere

this is all you need, unlimited run time.