Reentry Tournament Registration Closed

Report bugs found in Poker Mavens
BearMetal

Reentry Tournament Registration Closed

Post by BearMetal »

We wanted to try a bounty tournament, but those are not allowed with rebuys. So, I switched our tournament over to a re-entry tournament instead. Each player is allowed a single reentry. During the tournament, the late registration ended early since we had artificially filled up the total number of seats with reentries.
  • We have 2 tables, 10 players per table
  • The tournament started with 15 players
  • 5 players busted out and re-entered. When the 5th player re-entered, Late Registration was closed
  • We also noticed that the re-entry players counted against the payouts; in other words, we hit a 4th payout position b/c of the non-unique re-entries.
I would have expected only the number of unique registrants to count against the total. I also didn't see anywhere in the documentation that the late registration is based off of the tables * players-per-table.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Reentry Tournament Registration Closed

Post by Kent Briggs »

A re-entry player is treated just like a brand new player entering the tournament so they can affect the payout schedule, since they are paying the full buy-in and entry fee again. If you want to guarantee that every player has a re-entry chance then you'll need to allocate at least twice as many tables as you expect to use since the maximum entry limit is based on that value.
BearMetal

Post by BearMetal »

Thank you so much for that response Kent. I think it would be helpful if the documentation for a reentry tournament was updated to reflect that a player re-entering will increase the total number of entrants and therefore you'll need to expand your number of tables.

Is there any way that you would consider allowing bounties in a rebuy tournament? That is actually the use case that I'm going for here. I would like to run my tournaments with a single rebuy, but also have a bounty. Obviously, when a player rebuys, they pay a second bounty.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

BearMetal wrote:Is there any way that you would consider allowing bounties in a rebuy tournament? That is actually the use case that I'm going for here. I would like to run my tournaments with a single rebuy, but also have a bounty. Obviously, when a player rebuys, they pay a second bounty.
That doesn't work because you don't have to lose all your chips to rebuy (depending on the rebuy threshold). So how do you pay multiple bounties on a single tournament life? Note that you can have an add-on with a bounty as long as max rebuys is zero.
BearMetal

Post by BearMetal »

That doesn't work because you don't have to lose all your chips to rebuy (depending on the rebuy threshold). So how do you pay multiple bounties on a single tournament life? Note that you can have an add-on with a bounty as long as max rebuys is zero.
You could allow the bounty only if the rebuy threshold was 0 and there were no addons. There's no difference between paying the bounty in reentry or when you rebuy after busting, right?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

BearMetal wrote:There's no difference between paying the bounty in reentry or when you rebuy after busting, right?
One big difference is that the bounty would come out of the Rebuy Cost field, which may be different than the Buy-in field. So the remaining amount that goes to the prizepool would be different. And yeah, you could add yet another restriction forcing those two fields to be the same but my main objection is it spoils the whole concept of having a bounty to begin with, that is getting an extra award for knocking someone out of the tournament.
Grim

Post by Grim »

[quote="Kent Briggs"[...]Note that you can have an add-on with a bounty as long as max rebuys is zero.[/quote]
Wait, what does that mean? I would like to have bounties after the rebuy period is over, is that what this means? Will the bounty be subtracted from the "addon pool" ? So no bounty if they didn't buy the addon?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Grim wrote:Wait, what does that mean? I would like to have bounties after the rebuy period is over, is that what this means?
It means you can allow an add-on without allowing any rebuys. And if there are no rebuys then bounties are ok. There's no issue with mixing bounties and add-ons because a player cannot save themself with an add-on as they are purchased during a rest break. There's no time restraint on bounties, they last the entire length of the tournament.
Venturalvn

Post by Venturalvn »

I would like to also say that in our live tournaments we do the same as mentioned in regards to rebuy and bounties.

We allow 1 rebuy and 1 add-on. When the person is first eliminated, the player who won the pot is awarded a bounty chip. When the eliminated player is rebuying, they are given a new bounty chip with their stack.

I understand the concept can be the same with re-entries, however, we would never have a person who rebought affect the payout structure.

I understand the technical limitations of the software, but supporting the above may help many people looking to do the same.