Connection issues

Report bugs found in Poker Mavens
Tsiphon

Connection issues

Post by Tsiphon »

Occasionally myself or another player or two have issues connecting to both my friends and another local poker mavens site.

For both of us it's freezing on a player and blinking their action, then I have to manually reload the web page and it's fine for a bit. If I don't the action just sits there on a player waiting for them to act. This occurs both on phone or tablet with phone data or wifi.

Additionally my buddy has had his cards not show up after dealing completes a few times.

Are these simple to fix issues on a user side
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Connection issues

Post by Kent Briggs »

Sounds like dropped packets from a bad internet connection. You can refresh the table graphics by selecting "Refresh table" on the table menu.
Tsiphon

Post by Tsiphon »

The host literally just bought the software and set it up today. He said he followed some sort of directions and forwarded some ports. Is it possible it's on host end and not the users? I believe he is renting a server from Amazon.
Tsiphon

Post by Tsiphon »

Also the browser on my laptop will randomly not let me click things on the site. I can click anything else, like minimize the screen or refresh (which fixes it for awhile) but not bet, more the table around, or anything else. During this the table updates normally. Oddly enough I can still use my laptops touchscreen. I assume this is more likely an issue with the laptop but it's never happened before so idk.
Tsiphon

Post by Tsiphon »

I learned he has his server on AWS and forwarded his ports for his home network. I told him he needs to forward ports for the server. Could not forwarding ports from the AWS cause network issues and dropped packets like we are seeing?

I would think dropped packets could also be causing the issue with not seeing dealt cards sometimes. I doubt that could cause the issue with the mouse on the laptop though
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Tsiphon wrote:I learned he has his server on AWS and forwarded his ports for his home network. I told him he needs to forward ports for the server. Could not forwarding ports from the AWS cause network issues and dropped packets like we are seeing?
There are no routers on remote servers like AWS, that's only an issue running from home. There are firewalls at AWS but if those weren't right the client would not load at all.
I would think dropped packets could also be causing the issue with not seeing dealt cards sometimes. I doubt that could cause the issue with the mouse on the laptop though
I would suspect the Wifi connection between your laptop and router. How strong is that signal?
Tsiphon

Post by Tsiphon »

Well...currently i'm at a different house. Wired on desktop. It performs flawlessly on both my friends PM and another local PM i play on.

My phone / tablet has issues at times. And the laptop has those issues like I mentioned as well as the weird mouse capture bug. It will recognize mouse actions for awhile but then start only accepting touch screen on the laptop. Refreshing fixes this. Mouse actions are still registered in the rest of the windows, just not in the PM webpage. Wifi strength is great. We can stream 4k content from a TV further away from the router (which is on the other side of the wall) than I am.

I have attempted using both cellular data and wifi for the phone with the same results; constantly having to refresh due to action freezing on a player.

My friend connecting says he has the same thing on both cellular and wifi, with good wifi signal, and that he also at times has his hole cards just not show up. Yes i ensured his "play cards face down" isn't checked. It will deal out maybe 12 hands normally then randomly just not give him cards. He says refreshing does not allow him to then see his cards.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Tsiphon wrote:My friend connecting says he has the same thing on both cellular and wifi, with good wifi signal, and that he also at times has his hole cards just not show up. Yes i ensured his "play cards face down" isn't checked. It will deal out maybe 12 hands normally then randomly just not give him cards. He says refreshing does not allow him to then see his cards.
And all this is while connected to a site running on an AWS server, correct? Is the Event Log in the server module showing disconnects? What is the player load on that server?
Tsiphon

Post by Tsiphon »

As a follow up, i just bought a brand new Lenovo Flex laptop. Again, touchscreen like the previous lenovo yoga laptop (really old) i had used prior.

I'm now on my home network, which has a really good router and full firewall and network control.

using both firefox and chrome the interface for Poker Maven will only respond to touchscreen inputs. My mouse is visible on screen and "hovering" highlights or elicits information, however clicking fold or check, or a name to get the Info / Rotate here dialogue to pop up, or trying to drag the window all don't work. The only thing the mouse can do is click into the enter text field. Touchscreen inputs all work flawlessly, and the table is updating as though nothing is wrong.

This happened on both chrome, chrome (via shortcut link), and firefox. I can test Edge as well if you'd like.

I doubt this could be a firewall or port issue as if it was I doubt the page would load at all. Refreshing temporarily alleviates the issue, however it returns after 1-5 minutes. Any idea on a permanent solution? I can check to see if using my mobile data works to fix it, however I don't really want to be on mobile data at all times that I want to play on my laptop but not have issues.
Robbi1k

Post by Robbi1k »

Not sure if related to my issue a reported last month. On all our touch screen devices, the second you use touchscreen the mouse will stop working. Not accept clicks. If you just use mouse then all good. Refresh sort is out until you use touchscreen again. Tried to debug via chrome but just looks like events stop working.