Poker Mavens setup at home

For general discussion of the Poker Mavens software
BadDog

Poker Mavens setup at home

Post by BadDog »

I want to use poker mavens from home with a computer I made especially for it. I also would like to use a VPN with it. Does anyone have good knowledge on how to do this? I made the pm software in the okay in the firewall. I can login at home, but it has trouble for others out of network to login. Anyone have any ideas? I can always purchase the Atlantic server for $62 per month, I guess.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Poker Mavens setup at home

Post by Kent Briggs »

You need to open the HTTP and WS ports (defaults are 80 and 8080) in your router's port forwarding to let people outside of your network connect to you. By the way, the Atlantic servers start at $16 per month for the Windows plans.
BaxtersClub

Post by BaxtersClub »

I got an incredible deal on the Atlantic server. I don't know if they are still offering it, but when I first signed up, they gave me a year free. It just started billing a couple of months ago. I think it is only $15/month. I think the plan was more than that when I first signed up. But that seems to be right for the current pricing on my plan.

I just have the lowest plan they offer. I didn't know what I would need when I started, so I went this way with the plan of adding when/if I figured out a need. I never did. But my traffic may be lower than some of you. I rarely run two games at once. I have around 30 "active" players. I run 2-3 MTTs per week. They range from 9-10 players up to the low 20s. Other nights I have a cash table that usually plays close to full, sometimes with a small waiting list. Once in a while, there will be cash and tournament playing at the same time. At that level of traffic, there are absolutely no issues with the plan we are on. The site is very responsive, no lag, no errors, no disconnects that I can attribute to my side of the connection.

I also run all of my traffic through Cloudflare's free program. The whole setup seems very robust.

Honestly, to answer the original question, at the price I am paying, I wouldn't even consider the hassle of trying to run it at home.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

BaxtersClub wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:28 am I got an incredible deal on the Atlantic server. I don't know if they are still offering it, but when I first signed up, they gave me a year free.
Yes, they still advertise their "G3.2GB Cloud Server Free to Use for One Year". That's the low-end Windows VPS plan. Amazon web services (AWS) has a similar offer.