How to use Bonus Chips and tournament tickets

For general discussion of the Poker Mavens software
sarm34

How to use Bonus Chips and tournament tickets

Post by sarm34 »

I have a couple of questions and did a forum search, but didn't find my exact answer so would love some tips.

I have never used tickets for tournaments, but we want to set up some different chip starting stacks for our end of year tournament. I believe we could use the Bonus prefix on a tournament ticket to do this? I tried setting it up in a test tournament, but when I register for the event, it only shows the base ticket and I can't figure out how a bonus chip stack would be activated.

Second question, and I'm guessing based on what I can figure out the answer is no, I'm wondering if you can make different bonus chip prefixes for different tiers of players?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: How to use Bonus Chips and tournament tickets

Post by Kent Briggs »

Any particular tournament can have only 1 bonus ticket prefix but individual players can have that prefix with differing amounts on them. For example if you set the bonus ticket in a tournament to "Test" and give player 1 a ticket named "Test123" and player 2 a ticket named "Test7777" then player 1 will get 123 extra chips added to their starting chips and player 2 will get 7777 extra chips.
sarm34

Post by sarm34 »

Thanks for the quick reply! OK so in that case, in the settings I just set the Ticket name as Test? I think that is where I was getting confused before.
sarm34

Post by sarm34 »

Some screenshots:

Does this look right as an example?
Poker setup.png
Poker setup.png (83.68 KiB) Viewed 1284 times
And then a player getting the extra 5000 I would create them a ticket called TEST5000?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

sarm34 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:05 pm Thanks for the quick reply! OK so in that case, in the settings I just set the Ticket name as Test?
Correct. When the tournament starts, it will look at each player's account to see if they have any tickets that start with "Test" and if so will extract any digits that appear after that and use it as the stack bonus. If a player has multiple tickets that start with "Test" then it grabs the first one it sees alphabetically.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

sarm34 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:16 pm Does this look right as an example?
No, the Ticket field is only used to get into a tournament. It is not related to the Bonus Ticket, which is used for bonus chips. If you're going to use both, give them different names. And don't include numerical digits in the Bonus Ticket setting. You only enter the prefix there. Each individual player gets the full ticket name with digits in their account settings. Players have their own Tickets settings to hold a list of tickets belonging to them.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Kent Briggs wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:18 pm
sarm34 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:05 pm Thanks for the quick reply! OK so in that case, in the settings I just set the Ticket name as Test?
Correct.
Sorry, my bad. When you said "Ticket" I thought you were referring to the Bonus Ticket. Those are different things. Only use the Ticket setting to restrict entry into a tournament or to give certain players a free buy-in. The Bonus Ticket setting is where you put the prefix for the bonus chips.