Site Freezing and Odd Behavior

Report bugs found in Poker Mavens
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Site Freezing and Odd Behavior

Post by Kent Briggs »

escorpius wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:20 pm What could cause the system logging to stop but other logging to continue? Is this running on a separate thread? Curious if this is a symptom of the larger problem.
There is a master timer thread called "PM_Timer". If you click Help -> Show Threads in the Admin Console you should see it running in the list. This thread makes the Traffic report in the event log, executes any pending callbacks in the Callback Event system, starts any tournaments that have set start times, terminates expired connections, and updates the listing at www.pokermavens.net. If for any reason this thread crashes it should spit out a "TimerThread error" message to the Error Log along with a stack trace. Did your error log file (the actual file, not the tab in the console) show anything?
escorpius

Post by escorpius »

No, the error log has no stack trace and no error message indicating an issue. Could there be a setting on our side causing that not to happen? If not, is there anything else we might check for such an error?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

escorpius wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:38 pm No, the error log has no stack trace and no error message indicating an issue. Could there be a setting on our side causing that not to happen? If not, is there anything else we might check for such an error?
The only thing I can think of is being completely out of disk space.
escorpius

Post by escorpius »

The drive has gigs of space free, which has been true since the creation of the instance according to the monitoring.

To be clear, the Error Log has messages in it from the time period, all of which were a result of the restart. So, the drive was fine.

Let me know if you have other thoughts or if there's anything else we can test.
escorpius

Post by escorpius »

Code: Select all

2022-08-23 20:49:08|System|Traffic - Seconds: 60, Bytes in: 11345, Bytes out: 387612, Total: 398957, Threads: 81, CPU: 0.2%, Memory: 31696 kb
Froze again. Last stat line before freeze above. Same behavior as noted, i.e., System logging line does not show up and no stack trace in Error Log file.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

I don't know how AWS allocates physical resources but it makes me think there could be a hardware issue like a bad memory card in the mix. Otherwise I'm wondering why is this happening to you and not everyone else.
escorpius

Post by escorpius »

We have the ability to completely migrate the server with a couple of clicks to a new instance to rule that out. Not sure that's justified here, but happy to do it to rule things out if that would help you in any way.

As for why it's happening to us and no one else, I would be curious to know whether you have other users that make the same level of use of your APIs, file-based log parsing, session-based logins, etc. Perhaps we're stressing the software in ways that others aren't and such that it simply isn't able to withstand? But, I would be remiss if I didn't note once again that we did not have this issue with the previous major release -- and, we made no changes between the releases.

Regardless, I am far more curious why the software would be acting in a way that you are not expecting, e.g., the death (?) of the PM_Timer thread without any sort of error logging. Is there a way without actually being able to connect to the administrator site that we can determine if the PM_Timer thread is actually still running when it freezes? Again, we are willing and able to assist in any way we can.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

escorpius wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:11 pm Is there a way without actually being able to connect to the administrator site that we can determine if the PM_Timer thread is actually still running when it freezes?
Use Help -> Show Threads and write down the thread ID (usually a 4-digit number) for PM_Timer. Note that PM_Timer only runs when the poker site is in the "Online" state.

Install Process Explorer on the server:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... s-explorer

Run it and double-click PMService.exe. Look for that ID in the "TID" column.
KanpaiGuy

Post by KanpaiGuy »

Hey, I am running into what appears to be the same issue. Last few days we have had one or more "freezes" where the system stops responding for about a minute or two and then begins working as expected again. I'm wondering if you were able to get this resolved ?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

KanpaiGuy wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:11 pm Hey, I am running into what appears to be the same issue. Last few days we have had one or more "freezes" where the system stops responding for about a minute or two and then begins working as expected again. I'm wondering if you were able to get this resolved ?
Sounds like a different issue if it's not crashing and requiring a restart. Are your CPU percentage numbers spiking? Does it happen near the beginning of a tournament? That's usually when the server is stressed the most.