PokerTracker4 History Converter

For general discussion of the Poker Mavens software
charles256

PokerTracker4 History Converter

Post by charles256 »

Evening,

I found a similar thread on here with a Python script that it seemed several people were interested in, so I believe you all might be interested in something a bit more user-friendly. I'm a developer by trade and used JavaFX along with Java 8 to create a program that takes in Maven Hand History and outputs it in Open Hand History which you can then import into Poker Tracker 4.

I've got it working in a few scenarios but have more to go. So I'm hoping people here might be interested in helping with its development in return for free software updates. I believe I've built the exe to have the appropriate JRE bundled with it, so it should just work. However, I'm more of a web developer, so it's possible I'm wrong. If it doesn't work at all, including details about your operating system and a screenshot of what happened so I can try to figure out what went wrong.

What I need
  1. Hand histories for the scenarios that don't work are listed below.
  2. Hand histories for the scenarios that may work
  3. Screenshots and written feedback of your experience using the software
  4. Feature requests

What Works
  1. NL Hold Em Cash Games
  2. Split rake for even amounts or uneven amounts up to 2 players
  3. One side pot
  4. I have an open ticket with Poker Tracker about their program requiring multiple imports to completely import all hands from a file as defined in OHH. They recently changed their importer and are looking into what is going on.
  5. Assumes the lowest chip denomination is a quarter. Is this valid? Does Poker Mavens expose this information in any meaningful way?
  6. Assumes currency is USD
What May Work
  1. Split rake where 2 of 3 or more players owe uneven amounts
  2. Multiple side pots
What Doesn't Work
  1. All tournament varieties
  2. Omaha, OmahaHiLo, Stud, StudHiLo, Draw
  3. Antes
Thanks for your help, and time. I know this is an absurdly long post for my first post. I'm hoping it's the first of many.
Charles Thompson
charles256

Re: PokerTracker4 History Converter

Post by charles256 »

I was working on improving the program this morning when I noticed that the exe I shared with you didn't work. :oops: As I said, I have little experience packaging desktop applications. Usually, when I make this sort of thing, I only need to run it from my development environment. Here is a version that I tested and should work. Unfortunately, it's larger than the forums allow, so it's hosted on Google Drive for now. So I'm working on putting together a simple landing page where people can download it in the future.
Charles Thompson
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

charles256 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:52 am I noticed that the exe I shared with you didn't work
I've deleted the attachment. Having a landing page on your own site is the better way to go, as you mentioned. Plus I don't like hosting executable files that haven't been verified anyway.
charles256

Post by charles256 »

Kent Briggs wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:50 am I've deleted the attachment. Having a landing page on your own site is the better way to go, as you mentioned. Plus I don't like hosting executable files that haven't been verified anyway.
Thanks, Kent. I tried deleting it but couldn't find the edit button to save my life. :lol:

It's not the fanciest site in the land, but I put together a landing page with a few photos of the application in action to give people a better idea of what to expect. The latest exe will also be hosted there. So please take a look, and let me know what you think. Thanks, everyone.
Charles Thompson
onthedole

Post by onthedole »

Looks great. Would it be possible for you to modify the lowest chip denomination aspect? The home game I play with friends is NL with blinds of .10/.20. I'd really like to use this but it doesn't sound like it will work in the current form. Thanks.
charles256

Post by charles256 »

Absolutely! I’ll make it an input box so you can set the value manually. If you have a sample hand history, I’d love to see it. I’m trying to see if Poker Mavens exposes that information, but they might not in hand histories. Either way, I’ll reply as soon as I get that chance done. Thanks for taking a look. 😀
Charles Thompson
charles256

Post by charles256 »

onthedole wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:23 pm Looks great. Would it be possible for you to modify the lowest chip denomination aspect? The home game I play with friends is NL with blinds of .10/.20. I'd really like to use this but it doesn't sound like it will work in the current form. Thanks.
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. A family and a job takes a lot of time before the word go. :lol: You can download the the latest version here, that I believe will allow you to specify a smaller base chip.
Game: NL Hold'em ($0.25 - 300) - Blinds 0.50/1
Lines like this is how I determine what the blinds are. However, you would have ran into problems because I assumed the smallest chip was a quarter. Looking at this line, I think $0.25 tells me what the smallest chip is, but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe Kent will chime in. :) In the meantime, I've added a field to the application that lets you specify the smallest chip.

I also added a feature that writes to a log file when the app runs into errors. If you find that it has a problem, send me your hand history text file and the error logs, and I can see what went wrong. One thing I need to add soon is to allow importing PDFs, and not just text files. It would probably also be helpful if I told you that the program converted 10 out of 11 hands; that way, it's more visible if things are awry. If it doesn't tell you about an error, you can assume it converted everything successfully.

Thank you for any feedback you have and for trying it out. I will attach my commits from the past week below to give some more insight into what I've been working on.
  • Poker Tracker Feedback - They said they had fixed a bug in their OHH parsing and we can expect a new version soon. :P
Implement error logging to provide more insight if hand history fails to parse.
Allow for the user to specify the smallest chip, default to $0.25 if one isn't passed in.
Added a unit test for the smallest chip that isn't $0.25 to make sure it still maths right.
Maybe one day add in a check to make sure they're not putting in nonsense chip values, but not today.
Upgrade to JUnit 5 to allow for parameterized unit testing.
Ensured that the smallest chip specified looked how we expect, and fall back to default if it was not. That day has arrived! Added unit testing to check erroneous scenarios we could think of.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (25.51 KiB) Viewed 2369 times
Charles Thompson
charles256

Post by charles256 »

I uploaded a new version that supports parsing PDF files. That came in handy because I always "Print" the hand history to a PDF file. Hopefully, it helps some of you all. I've got a few tournament hand histories now, so I might try to implement that next.
Charles Thompson
Bcruey

Post by Bcruey »

Great tool. Any update on the tournament hand history conversion add on?
charles256

Post by charles256 »

Bcruey wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:36 pm Great tool. Any update on the tournament hand history conversion add on?
I haven’t played any in a while. If you want to send me a hand history, I can take a look at implementing it. Feel free to find and replace your names with generic names. 😀 It’ll probably take a few week to get to it, but I’ll give it a shot. 😀
Charles Thompson