Silent disconnects on unstable client network connection

Report bugs found in Poker Mavens
dawg6

Silent disconnects on unstable client network connection

Post by dawg6 »

I've noticed that on "unstable" internet connections, we're experiencing players occasionally get disconnected and the client doesn't automatically recover.

To make things worse, the player does not get any indication that they have disconnected and in order to reconnect, they have to press F5 to refresh the web page. I've also looked at the Javascript console when it happened to me and didn't see any errors.

In our case, we're all using Zoom, and the player that disconnectes from Poker Mavens doesn't lose their zoom connection -- only their maven connection. We usually notice it and can tell the player in zoom to refresh so that they don't fold out of the hand.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Silent disconnects on unstable client network connection

Post by Kent Briggs »

The browser has to detect a disconnect before it will fire an event letting the web app know. So if the user doesn't get a popup telling them it is trying to reconnect then the browser wasn't aware of it yet. Tell them to select "Refresh table" from the Table menu before doing an F5 reload and see if that works.
dawg6

Post by dawg6 »

Just had it happen to me again (using my cellphone as a hotspot, which seems to be very unstable tonight), so I clicked Refresh table, which didn't solve it immediately.

But after about a minute or so, eventually I did get the pop up saying reconnecting and the table refreshed.
dawg6

Post by dawg6 »

Still seeing these quite frequently. I'm on a mobile hotspot, which seems to make it happen even more often than when I am on a reliable connection, like a residential ISP.

Oddly, my zoom meeting handles the unstable network just fine, but Poker Mavens never gives me the "reconnecting" dialog and I have to either refresh the table or refresh the whole page (sometimes refresh table works immediately, sometimes it does not).

Also, when refresh table doesn't work immediately, the whole table goes blank for a several seconds, then I get the reconnecting dialog, and then everything except my cards is displayed. I have to refresh the whole browser page to see my cards.

I do not see any errors in the browser's developer console. The server log does report the disconnects.

Runnning Mavens Pro 7.04.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

dawg6 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:22 pm Oddly, my zoom meeting handles the unstable network just fine, but Poker Mavens never gives me the "reconnecting" dialog
Is Zoom running in its own app or in a browser window? If it's an app it might have a more robust error/disconnect detection system.
dawg6

Post by dawg6 »

Kent Briggs wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:38 pm Is Zoom running in its own app or in a browser window? If it's an app it might have a more robust error/disconnect detection system.
Zoom is in it's own app.
Tuck Fheman

Post by Tuck Fheman »

I've experienced this as well while on a VPN.

Everything pauses and I'm not sure if it's on my end or the other player acting slow and I receive no notice from the browser that the connection has issues. But if I refresh the page/relogin/disconnect VPN I discover everyone was waiting on me to act or the action has moved past me.
escorpius

Post by escorpius »

We are seeing the same behavior. Players report having streaming services running with no issue, but silent disconnects from the server, which result in them getting kicked from hands unexpectedly.