Pot and Bet font style/size

Add your suggestions for improving Poker Mavens
dengland

Pot and Bet font style/size

Post by dengland »

I have got a regular that has vision difficulties. She is already using font large on the client and a larger window. I mess her up occasionally when I create a special graphic like for a holiday just to keep things interesting. Most recently I did this:
Veterans Day 2021.jpg
Veterans Day 2021.jpg (112.7 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
I tried altering the table top text color. Black, Red and blue were a bit better, but the bet size did not stand out. My feeling is that the font is to narrow or fine to get enough color to pop from the background. I tried altering the Font size larger to something larger than 1.05em, while it had some positive effect, the size of other items got large faster (e.g. player names outgrew the boxes). Menu items do show what is needed to call a bet, but what my player with vision difficulty struggles with is seeing the raiser and the individual action that follows.

Please consider adding an independent control for font size/family/boldness for the betting / pot font if it isn't too messy of an implementation for you.

Thanks
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Pot and Bet font style/size

Post by Kent Briggs »

Putting bold lettering with multiple colors in your graphic is not a good idea, even for players with perfect vision. Text on top of that is always going to conflict with it and make it hard to read. You should consider a more subtle semi-transparent effect where the logo fades into a solid color background like these examples:
VDayTable.png
VDayTable.png (253.56 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
VDay2Table.png
VDay2Table.png (246.84 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
dengland

Post by dengland »

Those look great. I am going to have to work on that technique. Thanks!
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

dengland wrote:Those look great. I am going to have to work on that technique. Thanks!
The way I did it in my ancient copy of Paint Shop Pro (should work in any decent editor) was to use an elliptical selection tool to grab your logo and put in on the clipboard. I then loaded the default table template file and create a new layer over the table and pasted the logo in it. I then dropped the opacity of that layer down to about 10%. To make the red one, I switched focus back to the lower layer, put an elliptical selection around the table and played with the Hue/Saturation/Lightness levels until I got something that looked right. White text over either of those looks pretty good.