New table options for ring game buy-in?

Add your suggestions for improving Poker Mavens
cchervit

New table options for ring game buy-in?

Post by cchervit »

Kent,

I know you have Min, Max and Default Buy-in options for cash/ring games. I've had some requests for two other options that I think would be nice to have -- a buy-in setting equal to either the Max stack at the table or the Average stack at the table (but still up to a MAX limit). This way, if someone is sitting at a table for a long time and builds up quite a large stack, they can't continue to play bully poker. And if one's stack does get higher than the table MAX limit, have a table setting option whereby the player must/can take some chips off the table.

Thanks,
Chad
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: New table options for ring game buy-in?

Post by Kent Briggs »

They can do that already but typing in the exact amount they want to bring in using the third option.
cchervit

Post by cchervit »

Kent Briggs wrote:They can do that already but typing in the exact amount they want to bring in using the third option.
I don't quite understand your reply, Kent. Are you saying that if I have a Max buy-in of $100 and a default buy-in of $50, if someone is running the table and playing with a chip stack of $500, then someone can buy-in for $500 if they type that in the "other" buy-in field?

Thanks for clarifying,
Chad
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

cchervit wrote:I don't quite understand your reply, Kent. Are you saying that if I have a Max buy-in of $100 and a default buy-in of $50, if someone is running the table and playing with a chip stack of $500, then someone can buy-in for $500 if they type that in the "other" buy-in field?
No, they can type in any amount between the min and max. If you want someone to be able to buy-in for 500 then set your max to at least that amount. Why should a new player get to exceed the starting max that every other player had to adhere to?
mchensel3

Post by mchensel3 »

Kent Briggs wrote:
cchervit wrote:I don't quite understand your reply, Kent. Are you saying that if I have a Max buy-in of $100 and a default buy-in of $50, if someone is running the table and playing with a chip stack of $500, then someone can buy-in for $500 if they type that in the "other" buy-in field?
No, they can type in any amount between the min and max. If you want someone to be able to buy-in for 500 then set your max to at least that amount. Why should a new player get to exceed the starting max that every other player had to adhere to?
I understand not allowing them to buyin initially for more than the Max. In our cash games though in order to also not allow one big stack to just dominate we allow an add-on after the initial buyin once every round of blinds also not to exceed the max buyin and the total stack cannot exceed the biggest stack. This acts to let people catch up a bit in stack size without just opening it up completely. Most are fine coming in and getting to at least 1/2 of the max stack. Rarely does anyone really use it to catch up all the way. But if there is a $500 stack and max of $!00 they might get up to $200-$300 after a few blind rounds.

Just an idea that could be a site option to allow. I know we would use that option.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Sorry, I can't implement custom rules that would apply to you and likely no one else. Also, ring games are not tournaments. The goal is to leave with more chips that you came with, not to catch up with the largest stack.
setspike

Post by setspike »

cchervit,

My users have asked for this in the past as well. A max buy-in of $50 on a ring game that is running for many hours can result in someone with a very large stack. When someone gets felted, they would like to buy-in for a larger stack. The way I've gotten around this is: I, as the admin, get table consensus that the max buy-in should be raised. If consensus is reached, I bring up a new table with a larger max buy-in and have everyone move to that new table or stop the current table, change the max buy-in, and have everyone rejoin.

The way I look at now, the big stack has earned the bully advantage and unless consensus is reached to change the max buy-in, the big stack should keep that advantage.

My 2 cents.

- setspike
BaxtersClub

Post by BaxtersClub »

I go back and forth on this all the time. When I am big stack, I don't want it. When I get felted, I want it. LOL. I think my players are the same way. So I get asked from time to time. The question I want to ask is this: Can the max buy-in be changed on a live table through the API? And would there ever be an option of that being made available through the admin console (changing something without taking the table offline)?

Short of that, I guess the solution is to spin up a new table with a higher max?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

BaxtersClub wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:04 pm Can the max buy-in be changed on a live table through the API?
Settings can only be changed on offline tables.
setspike

Post by setspike »

Hi Kent,

My players have been asking for the same thing.

Ideally, there would be a default range on buyin (i.e. 20-50 chips), along with a max of "match the highest stack".

Alternatively, if a future version would allow an admin to change the upper limit on a running table, that would suffice as well.

Thanks for considering.

- setspike