Occasional <U+FEFF> in logs

Report bugs found in Poker Mavens
setspike

Occasional <U+FEFF> in logs

Post by setspike »

Hi Kent,

As I'm doing some parsing of my Event logs for some custom reporting, I'm finding on random lines there are occasional <U+FEFF> characters before the year. Two examples:

Code: Select all

<U+FEFF>2020-09-02 09:42:35|Account|setspike +10 balance 100 (Crash Recovery)

Code: Select all

<U+FEFF>2020-09-09 08:42:15|Account|setspike +25 balance 420.50 ($25 TURBO Bounty Tournament)
Just wanted to bring this to your attention and see if you have any idea on why this is happening.

Thanks.

- Jason
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Occasional <U+FEFF> in logs

Post by Kent Briggs »

All the text logs are saved in UTF-8 formatting, which puts 3 hex bytes (called a Byte Order Mark or BOM) at the beginning of the file (EF BB BF) to indicate UTF-formatting. (U+FEFF) is the BOM for UTF-16, which Poker Mavens does not use. So I'm wondering if you loaded and resaved those files? Please zip up a raw event log file from your data folder and send that to me.
setspike

Re: Occasional <U+FEFF> in logs

Post by setspike »

I found the culprit. I'm SMB mounting the Logs directory from my Windows server to a Linux server where I do all my custom reporting. When I access the Event logs on that linux machine, each first line of the file contains the <U+FEFF>. However, I'm not seeing it if I directly access the file on my Windows server.