Ring Game Session Duration Control

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
Supersonics

Ring Game Session Duration Control

Post by Supersonics »

Now that Mavens Tools has created a Ring Game download, I wonder if there is a setting within Poker Mavens that allows for a delay on when a 'session' ends. Right now, Poker Mavens will end a Ring Game session as soon as activity stops on the table, even if that is for a few seconds. Then a new one starts as soon as the action resumes.

For example, we ran our first test last night, and over 20 players rotated through the Ring Game. However, three 'Sessions' were created due to the fact that for a brief moment, only one person was on a table or active.

If there is already a setting where a 1 hour delay could be used for the creation of a new session, I would like to know where to find it. If there isn't something like this, I could see this being very useful. If an Administrator wanted to keep the delay at Zero, they can. But if an Administrator wanted to create a situation where a slight delay was implemented before a Session Ended, it would allow for 1 Ring Game session to happen over the course of a Poker Night versus multiple Sessions getting generated.

Thanks,
Supersonics
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Ring Game Session Duration Control

Post by Kent Briggs »

Supersonics wrote:But if an Administrator wanted to create a situation where a slight delay was implemented before a Session Ended, it would allow for 1 Ring Game session to happen over the course of a Poker Night versus multiple Sessions getting generated.
For what purpose? Why would you care about multiple sessions?
Supersonics

Post by Supersonics »

Last night I finally made the Ring Table available before/during/after my scheduled tournaments were launching.

Two guys jumped in and played a few hands then one left the room... creating a session where one was up $0.75 and the other was down the same.

9 minutes later other people joined the room, and play continued for 75 minutes with 14 different people entering/leaving, then another tourney launched and 1 person remained again, ending that session.

1 minute later another person joined and play started up again for 135 minutes with 21 people entering/leaving, many of the same people as before.

I received 3 separate reports from Mavens Tools due to the fact that this new 'Game Changing' data export captures each Ring Table Session that I can forward to all of the players in the session to settle up after. Sure, I can go into Excel and create formulas to match everyone up, but, I'm just curious if there was a setting to delay when a session closes in order to make this new export just capture everything as One Session.

As other people running active Ring Games discover this new export from Mavens Tools, I think you'll see more requests for a delayed session closure.

Cheers,
Supersonics
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Players joining and leaving at-will is what ring tables where designed for. Making players settle up with each other defeats the whole advantage of having a site with player account balances.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Supersonics wrote:I'm just curious if there was a setting to delay when a session closes
You can delay when the next session starts by setting the "Start minimum" setting to a higher number than 2 (up to the seat count). The play won't start until there are enough seated and ready players to match that setting, or the start code is entered, or the table is manually started from the Action menu, or the RingGamesStart command is issued via the API.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

One other note I forgot to mention above. The very definition of a session is a segment of continuous play. If the table is down to 1 player, play obviously stops and thus that ends the session. You can't delay something that has already stopped. Just because your third-party tool decides to break up whatever data report you were expecting at that point, that is an issue with that tool, not Poker Mavens.
Supersonics

Post by Supersonics »

Okay, I appreciate the feedback Kent.

Maybe I need to adjust the way I'm using Poker Mavens a bit and not worry so much about paying out every night.

But yep, maybe the 3rd Party Vendor can somehow capture a time period to provide a download of a Ring Game on a poker night. If not, I'll just have to build formulas every time in Excel, yay. ;)

Supersonics