Loading from a VPN site

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
Benji

Loading from a VPN site

Post by Benji »

Is it possible to be running a VPN site that I can have user log into with a username, in order to access Poker Maven's login? I already run a private site and was curious about this.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Loading from a VPN site

Post by Kent Briggs »

Not sure what you mean by "VPN site". Typically a VPN is used to anonymize a client from all servers they connect to. Which is the opposite of a reverse proxy like Cloudfare, which is used to anonymize a server from all its clients. In any case, you can log a player into your own web based interface (using your own authentication procedure) and then create a one-time session key for that player via an API call to the poker server. You then pass that session key as a URL parameter to the poker server and it logs that player in. Details on startup parameters described here:

http://www.briggsoft.com/docs/pmavens/T ... tartup.htm

Automated login examples:

http://www.briggsoft.com/docs/pmavens/A ... auto_login
naked_eskimo

Post by naked_eskimo »

if you mean is it possible to have players connect to your LAN via a remote access vpn client and then use your poker mavens LAN ip for browser connections? The answer would be yes, but seems like a complicated way to go about doing it. The only upside that I can see is that you would not have to expose your poker mavens server to the outside world, but you would be granting access to your private LAN to all of your players.

If it is security that you are concerned about, I would place your poker mavens server in a dmz and purchase an ssl certificate.

It is entirely possible that I misunderstood your question. In that case, feel free to disregard my comments :)
hxe

Post by hxe »

Sure. It'd be no different than running it publicly.
Bind to private address rather than public and set up a VPN server to accept client connections.

But to echo others, why? It's complicated.