Hosting a second server

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
arigorn

Hosting a second server

Post by arigorn »

I emailed about this and realized that's a dumb way to communicate, sorry in advance.

I need to host a second server. How can I do that? In theory it'll be the same IP address of the other machine? Would I need a second virtual host?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Hosting a second server

Post by Kent Briggs »

Email is fine.

Not sure what you mean by "same IP address of the other machine". A second copy requires a second Poker Mavens license. They will run independently, though. You could loosely tie them together with a central web site login page.
arigorn

Post by arigorn »

I thought the IP address was the machine it's connecting to, not the individual server? Either way I trust that you're saying it'll work!
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

arigorn wrote:I thought the IP address was the machine it's connecting to, not the individual server? Either way I trust that you're saying it'll work!
It's tied to the network adapter in the machine. When speaking about hardware, I use "machine" and "server" interchangeably. You cannot run multiple copies of Poker Mavens on the same Windows install, unless they are different versions (like v5 and v6) and use different ports. I'm still not sure what you are wanting to do exactly.
arigorn

Post by arigorn »

I'm trying to run an independent second copy of Poker Mavens, for a different poker group. I just bought a second license.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

arigorn wrote:I'm trying to run an independent second copy of Poker Mavens, for a different poker group. I just bought a second license.
You'll need a second machine/server to run it on.
naked_eskimo

Post by naked_eskimo »

Depending on your resources, you may want to consider running each poker mavens server as a virtual machine. That way you could run them both on the same physical machine. Hyper-V is freely available for Windows servers.

You would have the same external ip address (Internet facing), but then you could use custom tcp ports to NAT internally to each server separately. That way you could run each server at the same time if you wanted to.