Atlantic.net Server with Cloudflare setup Help needed

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
tig618

Atlantic.net Server with Cloudflare setup Help needed

Post by tig618 »

I recently signed up for the Trial Version but plan on upgrading to the Lite version until for a week or so...I have never setup a server or domain directing and with all of the the info available I am having trouble keeping my head from spinning, I am just a little overwhelmed and I am afraid to call Atlantic support to help me with setting up Poker Mavens Server because I live in Washington State. Which is exactly why I decided to go this route because I am just trying to establish a Private server for my co-workers and I to be able to play Real Poker in a private capacity.

I don't understand what it means to set the Name Server with my Domain Registrar. I am confused on which Server to choose for Atlantic (Desktop Experience or not...if it matters). I have a domain but it isn't even activated because I don't understand how to activate it for the server (Domain is through IONOS). If someone could help me get on my feet here, I would be grateful. I'm quite tech savvy but never done the "Admin" side before. It doesn't scare me, I am just out of my element of right now. Thanks
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Atlantic.net Server with Cloudflare setup Help needed

Post by Kent Briggs »

If you bought your domain name from IONOS then they are your domain name registrar. You should have an account at IONOS that you can log into to setup your domain name. There should be an option to enter Atlantic's name servers. Then back at Atlantic, log into that account and go into the DNS settings where you specify an "A" record for your domain name. Typically there will be two "A" records, one for the base name (like example.com) and another for the www subdomain (like www.example.com).
tig618

Post by tig618 »

Also, I am not a web developer so I have been trying to figure out if paying $15/mo. is worth it for cPanel or if I should use an alternative that I just need to dig deeper to manage the server. Last thing, it seems to me that if I am to set up PMServer on my VPS pointing to it with my domain that it will essentially be a hosted version of the poker lobby right? Or do I need to actually build a website around it or along side it published at separate pages within the same domain?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

tig618 wrote:is worth it for cPanel
cPanel is a Linux tool. You must choose a Windows plan to run Poker Mavens.
Last thing, it seems to me that if I am to set up PMServer on my VPS pointing to it with my domain that it will essentially be a hosted version of the poker lobby right? Or do I need to actually build a website around it or along side it published at separate pages within the same domain?
Poker Mavens is turnkey so a web site is not required, unless you want a custom front end for it.
tig618

Post by tig618 »

Ok great, thanks. That's why we just point it to the URL and IP once setup right?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

tig618 wrote:Ok great, thanks. That's why we just point it to the URL and IP once setup right?
Yes. You'll likely want to change your File Port setting from 8087 to 80 so that it doesn't have to be included on the end of the domain name.