Can't get SSL working

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
DaneW

Can't get SSL working

Post by DaneW »

Im not very tech savvy and im trying to get SSL configured to get rid of the "NOT SECURE" alert in chrome.

I've purchased a CA from Comodo. I just dont know what files need to go where. I see the my dcvstatus is not complete. Im not sure what files need to be put into the 'Server Settings' fields. I have all these different files that I'm so confused.

Also since getting this CA I've upgrated to PM gold. Not sure if that has any influence on it.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Can't get SSL working

Post by Kent Briggs »

You need the key file (which was used to create the certificate signing request), the cert file for your domain, and the root cert file. The last two being provided by your certificate authority. Each file must be in base-64 PEM format. The root cert file for Comodo with have the word "bundle" in the file name. If you load them into a text editor like NotePad the key file will have "-----BEGIN PRIVATE KEY-----" in the first line. The two cert files start with "-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----". Poker Mavens has a setting for each file that points to their location. You must also place the two OpenSSL DLL files into the program folder where PMServer.exe resides. A link to those are in the FAQ item 17 at http://www.briggsoft.com/pmfaq.htm
DaneW

Post by DaneW »

Does getting that root certificate take a while via DNS CNAME authentication? Saw it says something like could take 24-48 hrs to propagate.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

DaneW wrote:Does getting that root certificate take a while via DNS CNAME authentication? Saw it says something like could take 24-48 hrs to propagate.
DNS propagation is just the amount of time it takes to get your domain name around the world to the local name servers. It has nothing to do with SSL.
DaneW

Post by DaneW »

I cant seem to figure out where to get the root certificate on comodo. Seems i cant authenticate, I dont have email w my domain so i cant do it that way. Should I just set up an email for my domain and authenticate it that way?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

DaneW wrote:I cant seem to figure out where to get the root certificate on comodo.
The first link on this page should work:

https://support.comodo.com/index.php?/c ... ntranetssl
Seems i cant authenticate, I dont have email w my domain so i cant do it that way. Should I just set up an email for my domain and authenticate it that way?
Where are getting your cert from?
DaneW

Post by DaneW »

Kent Briggs wrote: Each file must be in base-64 PEM format[/url]
How do I confirm I have base 64?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

DaneW wrote:How do I confirm I have base 64?
You can load the files into a text editor and see that all the data will consist of 64-character lines of text from this group of 64 characters: A to Z, a to z, 0 to 9, +, /
blockgators

Post by blockgators »

Kent Briggs wrote:The root cert file for Comodo will have the word "bundle" in the file name. If you load them into a text editor like NotePad the key file will have "-----BEGIN PRIVATE KEY-----" in the first line. The two cert files start with "-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----". Poker Mavens has a setting for each file that points to their location. m[/url]
Do I leave the bundle file as is or do I have to sepearate the two Begin Certificates into their own file. I thought I had to simply upload the bundle to the SSL root certificate file?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

blockgators wrote:Do I leave the bundle file as is or do I have to sepearate the two Begin Certificates into their own file. I thought I had to simply upload the bundle to the SSL root certificate file?
The root cert file has multiple certs in it. Just leave it as-is.