Take offline

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
hxe

Take offline

Post by hxe »

So I had a weird bug where the server stopped accepting new connections but anyone still connected stayed connected.

For those of you who have never killed a live game any more and wonder what happens, when you "Take Offline" the game immediately goes offline and splits the pot evenly between all remaining players.

This post is more informative than anything and I'm hoping Google picks it up for when someone searches for "Take Offline"
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Take offline

Post by Kent Briggs »

hxe wrote:So I had a weird bug where the server stopped accepting new connections but anyone still connected stayed connected.
Was there any kind of error message displayed for people trying to connect? What did they see exactly?
setspike

Post by setspike »

hxe - I believe you're running your server on Unix as well. I see this exact same issue when I've had the server running for over 3+ days. I get the Websocket error or the standard browser error message that it can't connect to the website when a new player tries to connect. In order to mitigate this issue, I've been bouncing my server the morning before a poker night happens. I haven't been able to track down why new connections fail while the poker server is in this state. Seen this happen when thread count is the 30s as well as when there are no active players logged in.
hxe

Post by hxe »

Kent Briggs wrote:
hxe wrote:So I had a weird bug where the server stopped accepting new connections but anyone still connected stayed connected.
Was there any kind of error message displayed for people trying to connect? What did they see exactly?
I'm fronting with cloudflare and all they see the server is down.

I tried connecting directly as well but that just results in connection refused via the browser. Remote admin also fails if that helps in any way.
Everything else about the server works, but I'm running it on Linux via WINE so that definitely adds a layer of coplexity.
Once I connect to the server I can interact with PM as if it were online. In fact when I got the first report of someone not being able to connect, I VNCed in and paused the game which worked as expected.
A few others dropped but no one could reconnect. That's when I made the decision to kill the game.

The really interesting part for me is that one player got back in somehow through Cloudflare despite me not being able to connect directly.

The things we do to avoid having to run a Windows server...
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

hxe wrote:The things we do to avoid having to run a Windows server...
Please preface any posts you make with that fact as I offer no support for non-Windows installs. You are on your own.
hxe

Post by hxe »

Kent Briggs wrote:
hxe wrote:The things we do to avoid having to run a Windows server...
Please preface any posts you make with that fact as I offer no support for non-Windows installs. You are on your own.
I might move back to Windows. When it works it works great but it seems to not work great more often now.
I'll just have to suck it up and run it on Windows.