Using cloud storage for data folder

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
naked_eskimo

Using cloud storage for data folder

Post by naked_eskimo »

I was wondering how well it might work to use a cloud storage service, in my case OneDrive, for the poker mavens data folder. All I would need to do is change my local onedrive folder to be the same as the poker mavens data folder. That way I would not need do manual backups of the data folder daily, or whatever. I like to keep a current copy of the data folder for backup and restore purposes. This way poker mavens could just keep writing to the its default path and onedrive would keep the cloud folder synced for me.

I'm just not sure if that extra layer might cause the software to hiccup or something.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Using cloud storage for data folder

Post by Kent Briggs »

Many of the data folder files are held open for writing by Poker Mavens so it would depend on if OneDrive could still access them for reading in that state. And whether it could keep up with the pace of changes made and whether it would hog all your uplink bandwidth.
naked_eskimo

Post by naked_eskimo »

That was my thinking as well. Not so much the bandwidth issue, I have 1Gbps up and down with my hosted server, but moreso on the access to open files. If pokermavens wants sole access to one of the xml files, but then onedrive "clashes" with that somehow, then that might not be ideal.
naked_eskimo

Post by naked_eskimo »

Plus, I am not sure if onedrive tracks changes within files or just the presence of new files.