Heads Up Tournament

For general discussion of the Poker Mavens software
michaelmlevin

Heads Up Tournament

Post by michaelmlevin »

Our site is hosting 2 tournaments per week right now averaging about 25-35 players. We're thinking about adding a HEADS UP tournament, but am not quite sure how to do that. Has anybody out there done this (successfully) and if so, how was it set up? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Heads Up Tournament

Post by Kent Briggs »

If you set Shootout = Yes then all tables play down to 1 player before merging. Typically you would require the number of entrants to be a power of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc.) so the number of tables would be (1, 2, 4, 8, 16, etc.) And of course Seats per Table = 2.
jadelaar

Post by jadelaar »

Hi Kent,
I think you mentioned in a prior post that in this style of tournament, chip stacks and structures reset every round, correct?

Also, does the software do automatic byes if I get a number of players not to the power of 2 (e.g. 20 players)?

Jesse
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

jadelaar wrote:I think you mentioned in a prior post that in this style of tournament, chip stacks and structures reset every round, correct?
Yes
Also, does the software do automatic byes if I get a number of players not to the power of 2 (e.g. 20 players)?
The odd man out will be placed at a table alone until all the other tables finish.
Supersonics

Post by Supersonics »

Bumping this topic as I am planning to put together a Heads Up tournament next month and I want to make sure to set it up correctly.

What is a good starting Chip Stack and Blind Level for this? 20x BB? 40x BB?

When players advance, do the Starting Chips and Blinds reset?

Thanks,
Supersonics
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Supersonics wrote:What is a good starting Chip Stack and Blind Level for this? 20x BB? 40x BB?
You could just use the defaults unless you have a reason not to.
When players advance, do the Starting Chips and Blinds reset?
Yes.
Supersonics

Post by Supersonics »

Good to know, thanks Kent.

Ideally I want to find the right BB / Chip Stack ratio so a 1 vs 1 match takes 20 mins max. I'm sure many will be over in minutes, but others may drag on. I could accomplish that by having a 50/100 (same blinds as the heads up match in the movie Rounders) and then go with 40x BB, so 4,000 chips.

5 Minute Blind Levels and use the default PM blind levels, so 21 minutes in, the table will have 200/400 blinds with a 25 ante which means if tied, both players will be short stacked w/10x BB.

-Supersonics
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Supersonics wrote:Ideally I want to find the right BB / Chip Stack ratio so a 1 vs 1 match takes 20 mins max.
Create a test tournament for yourself with two browser windows open and run a mock heads-up tourney. Experiment with the blind structure, level duration, and starting chips until you find a combo that works for you.
Supersonics

Post by Supersonics »

I finally hosted my first Heads-Up tournament last night with 32 players, 4 minute levels. It only took 1 hour and it was a big success. I will definitely keep that in the rotation going forward. Cheers
The MPC

Post by The MPC »

I ran a test HeadsUp Tournament today and it had one major flaw which I believe to be a relatively easy fix.

There were 23 players registered, the tournament started with 11 HeadsUp Matches and one player had a bye and the moved through the tournament until there were 3 players left and one of those 3 players had a bye.

Ideally there would have been 7 heads up matches to start the tournament with 9 players randomly being assigned byes so that after round 1 there were only 16 players left.

The trick here obviously being that AFTER round 1 the tournament is left with a power of 2 scenario until the finish.
ColorUp Poker
#PlayBadRunWell #BetterLuckyThanGood #PlayBetter
https://www.colorup.poker