Bounty Option for Tournaments

Add your suggestions for improving Poker Mavens
Bartdude

Bounty Option for Tournaments

Post by Bartdude »

I know you have a callback feature that will trigger when someone is knocked out of a game, but would you please consider adding a Bounty option for tournaments. I see it something like having a field for bounty value in the configuration menu, then whenever a player registers, that amount is deducted from his/her account. When a player is eliminated, the bounty amount is credited to the player who eliminates him/her. An optional field may be added to either require players to purchase an additional "bounty chip" upon rebuy, or to not pay out bounties during the rebuy period (unless the eliminated player chooses not to rebuy).

Thanks for considering this suggestion.
hxe

Re: Bounty Option for Tournaments

Post by hxe »

I would also be interested in this feature.
I have a kludge in mind based on a different forum post, but a native option would be much nicer, especially since I today witnessed a split pot knocking out a 3rd person.

Since this is the wishlist forum, I'd also love to see a "progressive" bounty option too where half a player's bounty goes to their bank and the other half gets added to knocker outer.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

The problem with trying to build in a bounty reward system is that there are dozens of ways to do it and no one is going to be pleased with the one I implement. And I don't want to add 10 new settings to a tournament to try cover all bases. Making your own custom system using the callback /api tools available makes more sense.
rundmc

Post by rundmc »

But what if we can't program our DVR, let alone code?!? A bounty-style tournament would be an awesome addition, even if it other people would prefer a slightly different setup... I think the basic idea is pretty standard - add a separate bounty chip to everyone's entry which automatically gets transferred to whoever knocks them out. Thanks!
hxe

Post by hxe »

rundmc wrote:I think the basic idea is pretty standard - add a separate bounty chip to everyone's entry which automatically gets transferred to whoever knocks them out. Thanks!
Personally I'd even be happy with even using the current chip system.

1500 chip buyin, 300 chip bounty, total 1800 buy in.
When someone gets knocked out, 1500 goes into the "pot" and the guy who knocked him out gets the 300.

Anything else would be awesome, but even this as a starting point would be great.
Bartdude

Post by Bartdude »

rundmc wrote:But what if we can't program our DVR, let alone code?!? A bounty-style tournament would be an awesome addition, even if it other people would prefer a slightly different setup... I think the basic idea is pretty standard - add a separate bounty chip to everyone's entry which automatically gets transferred to whoever knocks them out. Thanks!
LOL, the DVD I can program, an API script, not so much.

I agree with the KISS concept. If Bounty option is selected, assign a Bounty Chip to each player and debit each player's account a configurable amount of chips. Credit each player's account that same amount for each Bounty Chip in their possession when they are eliminated from the tournament (or win it). Only two configurable options - Bounty (Yes/No) and Bounty Amount (0-999).

I disagree with the chips for bounty reward idea. Chips will be lost at the table, so a player gains little (other than a temporary boost to their stack) when they are eventually eliminated. Cash is a better incentive and reward.

Progressive bounties - good idea, but slippery slope towards what Kent was talking about with too many ways of implementing too many options.

BTW - Kudos o Kent for an excellent program!
hxe

Post by hxe »

Bartdude wrote:
rundmc wrote:But what if we can't program our DVR, let alone code?!? A bounty-style tournament would be an awesome addition, even if it other people would prefer a slightly different setup... I think the basic idea is pretty standard - add a separate bounty chip to everyone's entry which automatically gets transferred to whoever knocks them out. Thanks!
I disagree with the chips for bounty reward idea. Chips will be lost at the table, so a player gains little (other than a temporary boost to their stack) when they are eventually eliminated. Cash is a better incentive and reward.
Oh I meant chips as in the "main" currency you use for a buy in, not the tournament chips.
Bartdude

Post by Bartdude »

hxe wrote:
Bartdude wrote:
Oh I meant chips as in the "main" currency you use for a buy in, not the tournament chips.
LOL - we are talking about the same thing then, just using different words.
Yes, if chips won for bounty are transferred to the player's account balance rather than table balance, then for sure. Your example was a bit confusing to me because my tournament buy ins are for real cash, and the player's account balances represent actual money. Most of my tournament entry costs (buy ins) are in the $30-75 range, and I foresee a bounty of around $5-$10. I thought your reference to $1500 buy in was the starting stack. A $300 bounty would be pretty valuable, but I suppose if my players were putting in $1500 to play, it wouldn't seem that expensive !!! ;->
Tsiphon

Post by Tsiphon »

I'm guessing the obvious way, like what most online clients do, is hard to implement. As in, when you see the buy in it's say a $125+5 tourney $25 bounty, meaning 5 rake, 25 bounty, 100 main pot. The system could track a 2nd value for the bounty vs the primary 100 value towards the main pot. Bounty can either be awarded immediately to the players account or as a temporary token (perhaps shown on the players tab for the tourney) that gets added up then calculated from the "bounty pot" upon tourney completion. If there are tie instances a token worth 0.5 could be done. So say 20 people enter, X=20, and each KO gets you 1 X, and a tie you get 0.5x, then at the end winner gets their total X+1 (for their bounty).