For general discussion of the Poker Mavens software
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Poker Mavens 5.08 Released

Post by Kent Briggs »

Upgrade page:

http://www.briggsoft.com/patches.htm

Changes:

Both proxy and source IP addresses now recorded in event log records when "Proxy IP header" setting used. This only affects sites using DDOS protection services like CloudFlare so that you can see both the player's real IP and the proxy server's IP.

New Proxy column added to the Connections tab. As in the previous item, this is only used on sites using a proxy server.

Improved error trapping for updates to Accounts.db file.

"Start Tournament" menu in client now only enabled when selected tournament has a start code (Start Code setting is non-zero).

Fixed bug in AccountsAdd return value in API. Previously this was always returning the default starting balance, even if you actually set the Balance parameter to something else.

Fixed CSS issue related to chat enter buttons in client. This button will now always be square (as originally intended) even if you set a radius for the other client buttons.
social

Re: Poker Mavens 5.08 Released

Post by social »

you can see both the player's real IP and the proxy server's IP.
I am surprised you can do that.
I thought the whole point of proxy servers was being able to hide where you really were?
What is the point of using a proxy server in *that* case?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

social wrote:
The difference here is that we're talking about a proxy server used by the site owner for DDOS protection, not a proxy server used by the player to hide their origin. It only works when you control the proxy server and instruct it to send you a header ("Proxy IP header" mentioned above) that contains the user's actual IP. Services like CloudFlare have support for this kind of header.
social

Post by social »

Kent Briggs wrote:
social wrote:
The difference here is that we're talking about a proxy server used by the site owner for DDOS protection, not a proxy server used by the player to hide their origin. It only works when you control the proxy server and instruct it to send you a header ("Proxy IP header" mentioned above) that contains the user's actual IP. Services like CloudFlare have support for this kind of header.
OK, yeah, I get it. Cloudflare makes it impossible for you to know what the users original IP address was, because it is one huge proxy server itself.
social

Post by social »

So, about Patches.
I have not done the previous one or two since I upgraded to 5.

Can I simply do the most recent one, and it will cover the previous ones as well?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

social wrote:Can I simply do the most recent one, and it will cover the previous ones as well?
Yes, the current patch always converts whatever 5.xx version you currently have to the latest version.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

social wrote:OK, yeah, I get it. Cloudflare makes it impossible for you to know what the users original IP address was, because it is one huge proxy server itself.
That's right. Poker Mavens has supported the real IP header for quite awhile now and if detected would show that as the IP instead of the proxy IP it was actually connected to. What's new is that now you can see both. Someone recently pointed out to me that services like CloudFlare may use many different IP address and so this new ability may help you troubleshoot a problem with your DDOS protection.