Connection problem

For general discussion of the Poker Mavens software
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Connection problem

Post by Kent Briggs »

Boz wrote: That makes sense in logic. I might suggest a label change in the app Kent or enhancing the text in the help frame in the server settings tab. I'm a systems engineer and the descriptions still misled me. I also followed the "getting started" section of the help file to a "T".
The first item in Step 4 of the "getting started" section gave these instructions for setting the Local IP address:

"Local IP address - Select the first IP address in the drop list. The last IP listed will be 127.0.0.1 which represents the "localhost", a special address that allows a computer to refer to itself. Only choose 127.0.0.1 for local testing as other computers cannot connect to you when this IP is selected."

That part only needs a little adjustment now since localhost can now be selected in addition to the local ip. But I wouldn't say you initially followed that to a "T". :)
kreliz

Post by kreliz »

Kent Briggs wrote:I just logged into your "test" site at http://83.99.9.199:8087 with no problems, other than it was slow loading.
I saw that you logged in the log. See, now that just boggles me... I've send a mail out to some people to see if they can successfully connect too. Ill report back when they have tried to do so.
Though the server (and its settings) and router are no different from yesterday when nobody could connect.

The reason its slow is because its on my 2nd line atm which i primarily use for downloading. So thats normal.
Boz

Post by Boz »

Kent Briggs wrote:
Boz wrote: That makes sense in logic. I might suggest a label change in the app Kent or enhancing the text in the help frame in the server settings tab. I'm a systems engineer and the descriptions still misled me. I also followed the "getting started" section of the help file to a "T".
The first item in Step 4 of the "getting started" section gave these instructions for setting the Local IP address:

"Local IP address - Select the first IP address in the drop list. The last IP listed will be 127.0.0.1 which represents the "localhost", a special address that allows a computer to refer to itself. Only choose 127.0.0.1 for local testing as other computers cannot connect to you when this IP is selected."

That part only needs a little adjustment now since localhost can now be selected in addition to the local ip. But I wouldn't say you initially followed that to a "T". :)
Kent, I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm trying to help you make it better. Personally, I like it and hopefully if enough people from my small group of adult gamer friends start playing it, I'll buy the software. As far as I can tell it's "kick ass" and nothing comprable was even available a year ago (from an exhaustive Google search).

When you use the term "local IP address" for people who do this for a living, the immediate assumption is that this must be a non-routable IP address. It's misleading. If a server (I'm not running this on a PC behind a Linksys) uses non-routables behind a firewall, then your instructions work so long as port forwarding is in place. I and other engineers may have infrastructures that use routable addresses behind a firewall in which case the instructions/labels are a little muddy.

I would reword that one section in your instructions something like this:

"Local IP address - Select the first IP address in the drop list. The last IP listed will be 127.0.0.1 which represents the "localhost", a special address that allows a computer to refer to itself. Only choose 127.0.0.1 for (remove the word "local")testing from the computer that has the server software installed as other computers cannot connect to you when this IP is selected. Once you have confirmed through testing that you are able to connect to the server, change this value to the ip address that receives external connections so that others on the internet can connect to the server as well."

The only benefit I gain from offering suggestions here is hopefully making the product / instructions better for others. I can't force you to take them.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Boz wrote:
Kent Briggs wrote: That part only needs a little adjustment now since localhost can now be selected in addition to the local ip. But I wouldn't say you initially followed that to a "T". :)
Kent, I'm not trying to start an argument
Me neither, hence the smiley face. Thanks for the suggestions on improving the docs.