upgrading

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
social

upgrading

Post by social »

I want to upgrade to the new 4.x seeing as I have to migrate to a new server anyways,
and I have the link.

But I am uncertain as to what happens then?
Will there be instructions once I click that link and make the purchase?

Can I just do a fresh install on my new server, as opposed to overwriting previous version?
I never really used it on a production site, so it is not like I have any player info which I cannot afford to lose...
It seems to me that this would be quite a bit simpler, as opposed to trying to migrate everything from one server to the next,
which they will not help me with.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: upgrading

Post by Kent Briggs »

If you're upgrading from version 2.xx or 3.xx, there are utilities for importing your data here:

http://www.briggsoft.com/docs/pmavens/U ... htm#import

And if you're just wanting to move your data from one server to another, see item 13 in the FAQ for the location:

http://www.briggsoft.com/pmfaq.htm
social

Post by social »

Kent Briggs wrote:If you're upgrading from version 2.xx or 3.xx, there are utilities for importing your data here:

http://www.briggsoft.com/docs/pmavens/U ... htm#import

And if you're just wanting to move your data from one server to another, see item 13 in the FAQ for the location:

http://www.briggsoft.com/pmfaq.htm
I looked at both of those, unfortunately your instructions are not dumbed down enough for me to visualize what else I need to do.

I.e. am I supposed to install new version of Poker Mavens on the new server first?

For moving my site, what do I do with those files once I have exported them - they seemed to be exported to Poker Mavens files which are currently on my desktop...
Then what? Just copy them from the desktop of one server to the other?
I do not have to reinstall poker mavens on the new server?
Or I have to install if first, and then copy those folders into the new installation?

I don't quite understand *where* I am supposed to install those Utilities in order to upgrade?
On my current PC? on the Remote Desktop?

Could you clarify what the sequence of events should be in each case, please?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

social wrote:I don't quite understand *where* I am supposed to install those Utilities in order to upgrade?
The easiest way would be to first install the new version on the same server. Version 4 will get installed in its own folder and will not overwrite anything created in versions 2 or 3. Then run the import utility and that will copy all of the data, players, and settings into the Version 4 register space and data folder. Then if you want to move everything to another server, follow item 13 in the FAQ.
social

Post by social »

Kent Briggs wrote: Then if you want to move everything to another server, follow item 13 in the FAQ.
I have read item 13 repeatedly, and I do not get what it is I am supposed to do after I have exported the files in the System toolbar and after I have located the Data Folder.

How does this stuff result in having a working copy of Poker Mavens on my new server?
How do I transfer/migrate these things?
Could you clarify the specific actions which will result in my being able to see and start Poker Mavens on the new server?

Is there some way that I can use the Remote Desktop Connection on the New server to transfer the necessary files from the old server?
what steps do I need to take, please?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

social wrote:I have read item 13 repeatedly, and I do not get what it is I am supposed to do after I have exported the files in the System toolbar and after I have located the Data Folder.
The export function on the System toolbar just copies the settings on the System tab from the Windows registry to a file. After you've installed the software on the new server, invoke the Import function on the new server and load that file. Or you could adjust the settings manually from the defaults if you don't want to mess with that.
How does this stuff result in having a working copy of Poker Mavens on my new server?
You still have to install the software there, either from the setup file or by manually copying the program files over from the old server. The location of the program files are in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Briggs Softworks\Poker Mavens 4\
Is there some way that I can use the Remote Desktop Connection on the New server to transfer the necessary files from the old server?
You could do that. It's the same procedure as connecting your local PC to your old server via RDC. Or you could copy the files to your local PC first and then to the new one. Or install a cloud storage system like Google Drive, One Drive, DropBox, etc. as an in-between. Or use BitTorrent Sync. Or zip the files and email them to yourself.
social

Post by social »

Still not clear about what to do with the system settings and data folder if I am not using the Upgrade Utility?

What do I actually DO with them?

Copy them into something?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

social wrote:Still not clear about what to do with the system settings and data folder if I am not using the Upgrade Utility?
You definitely want to run the Upgrade Utility. Do that on the old server first. Then manually copy everything in the version 4 data folder on the old system to the version 4 data folder on the new system. The data folder contains all your table settings, player accounts, and log files.

The system settings are in a separate file that you created with you did the Help | Export. Copy that file over (put it anywhere), start up the program, select Help | Import on the System toolbar.
social

Post by social »

OK, thanks for the guidance...I am still using version 2 with no upgrades, so it was a bit more complicated than necessary.

I used Remote Desktop on the New Server, and used the Options which appeard once I connected to the OLD Server to make my Drives visible...
and I got everything copied and pasted from the old server to the new one...
just copied and pasted the Program86 files over to the new server, in the corresponding pathway folder, clicked on Poker Mavens and it installed.

Took me some time to realize that the new windows server had created a new path for the data folder,
/user/administrator/appdata/roaming/pokermavens which is what was displayed in the newly installed
Poker Mavens (still using version 2)
BUT...
when I did the Import for the System Settings -
it changed the pathway for the data folder back to what it was on the old server...
See screenshot:
http://prntscr.com/99r7gd

I had some trouble getting the name of the folder changed, because the Browse feature kept showing pathways for the old server...

So, I had to change it manually, which worked when I got the pathway spelled properly...
Then I still had some problems and needed to change other settings from the obsolete pathways:
http://prntscr.com/99r9vx
Still had a few problems because of old hard coded linnks to graphics files which had to be changed to the new Desktop pathway...
http://prntscr.com/99r7x8

So, I finally started the server, and CANNOT CONNECT, page takes too long to respond.....

Massive disappointment...

I know good things are worth struggling for, but it has taken me a month to get up the nerve to attempt all of this...
and I feel....Well, never mind...

No idea what to do now.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

social wrote:Took me some time to realize that the new windows server had created a new path for the data folder
That was explained in FAQ item 13. Older versions of Windows (like XP or Server 2003) used a different path for application data.
Then I still had some problems and needed to change other settings from the obsolete pathways:
http://prntscr.com/99r9vx
You don't need to put your custom graphics in the data folder. Those can go anywhere because each setting points to the full path.
So, I finally started the server, and CANNOT CONNECT, page takes too long to respond.....
Likely just a firewall issue. Add the program file (PMServer.exe) to the Windows Firewall "Allow" list.