reserved bug

Report bugs found in Poker Mavens
royala10

Re: reserved bug

Post by royala10 »

Kent,

I think that guy was right about freeroll tourneys. Also, please note if it is not fair to restrict a player in rare situations (it's a break, IP changes right at the moment and so on), it's much more unfair to the rest of players with the daily frauds and collusions we all know is happening everywhere because of this flaw.
I know that you can fix this issue by using cookies or dead-session checks. That makes your great software less to blame and makes more people to trust it over time.
royala10

Post by royala10 »

royala10 wrote:Kent,

I think that guy was right about freeroll tourneys. Also, please note if it is not fair to restrict a player in rare situations (it's a break, IP changes right at the moment and so on), it's much more unfair to the rest of players with the daily frauds and collusions we all know is happening everywhere because of this flaw.
I know that you can fix this issue by using cookies or dead-session checks. That makes your great software less to blame and makes more people to trust it over time.
or at least, you can simply enable "Allow/Disallow" only if the buyin==0
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

You can always set "Allow duplicate IPs" to No in the system setting and not even let them log in. But otherwise, when would you perform the check? During registration, where they can register under one IP and play under another? When the tourney starts? Which one do you kick out, both of them? What happens if someone shows up late and has the same IP as a sitting player?
royala10

Post by royala10 »

I try to answer all your questions, but please try to think from the other side with less bias if possible :?

1- "Allow duplicate IPs" in system setting is not very useful because two people in same house should be able to use the games at the same time ON DIFFERENT TABLES or SEPARATE TOURNAMENTS. That's where your Ring table IP restriction comes to help.
2- I'm not sure why you emphasis on IP more than Account. We don't care who registered with what IP, we just want to make sure no duplicate IPs are in the game, ESPECIALLY in freerolls that even if the player loses his registered place, there will be no need to refund (0) to him.

For example:
-> John registers with any IP , Jane and other players can register with identical or most probably different IPs.
-> Jane connects to game with IP1 , now the IP1 is DEDICATED to JANE at the moment. No other player can use that IP1 FOR SAME FREEROLL as long as Jane's session is alive. If John tries to connect with same IP, he will receive a "We're sorry" error and some instructions to renew his ipconfig or switches to another VPN/proxy channel or reboot his router and then try again.
-> Jane gets disconnected or her IP1 has now changed to IP2 after the break. Now another player tries to connect to the game with IP1, your IP-Session hash table should simply show that IP1 is not dedicated to any ACCOUNT now, so it is allocatable.

You can do your final checks , if necessary, with a cookie (or computer id?).

Please consider this math:
-What's the probability that two different Internet users come to same PM sever at the same time and want to play same tournament?
-Now what's the chance that we have at least one cheater in our turneys, specially if they are aware of this flaw?

Again, please consider three things:
1- This wouldn't be too much work for you and no hurt to the player if it's a Freeroll
2- Players feel more fairful games, less cheated, and they will admire PM. I am very involved with players and been in this business for years. I also have a big forum just for poker (can send you the url if you like), and I see many complaints about players who lost the tournaments because of being "pressed" by two colluders on a table.
3- Aren't you going to consider adding ipv6? this will eliminate the problem forever.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

royala10 wrote:If John tries to connect with same IP, he will receive a "We're sorry" error and some instructions to renew his ipconfig or switches to another VPN/proxy channel or reboot his router and then try again.
But in a tournament, players are seated and dealt cards even if they haven't logged in yet. So you're going to show a "we're sorry" message but what are you going to do with the actual seated player that is receiving cards and slowly being blinded out? Also, why would you give instructions on how to get around the duplicate IP ban if he was using multiple accounts to cheat?
3- Aren't you going to consider adding ipv6? this will eliminate the problem forever.
ipv6 should work already but that likely isn't going help with the problem of people creating multiple accounts.
royala10

Post by royala10 »

Well, seems you're concrete about your idea.

Since you're trying to advocate such players' rights in rare situations, you could also limit the server owners to not set the rake to more than 3% or don't let an admin to delete a player when it has positive balance, because they don't sound fair :shock:

I'm trying to say that it's the site owner who should decide what is fair and meet the consequences if he is wrong (losing players). at least for Gold owners.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

royala10 wrote:Well, seems you're concrete about your idea.
No, I'm open to the idea but there are consequences to what you are asking that you apparently haven't considered. I'm asking specific questions about how to enforce a duplicate IP ban in tournaments that you don't have an answer for.