Windows Servers being discontinued - what now?

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
social

Windows Servers being discontinued - what now?

Post by social »

I just got the following message from 1+1.com hosting, which was where you were hosting PM when I first joined this forum:
Your Windows VPS server, 1&1 Windows VPS II, is currently running on an older version of Microsoft Windows. Microsoft will soon discontinue its support for this version of Windows. This means that Microsoft will no longer offer updates, hotfixes, or security patches for the version of Windows currently installed on your server. Therefore it is necessary to utilize a newer version of Windows that is still supported.

Unfortunately there is no possibility to upgrade your version of Windows to one that is still supported with the server class you currently have. Because of this, the following 2 options are available:

Two Options Available:
back

1. Migrate your server to a new VPS using Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
2. Migrate your server to a new 1&1 Cloud Server with adjustable hardware resources and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 or Windows Server 2012

Because it is not technically possible to migrate your server to a newer server class automatically, it is necessary for you to manually migrate your data and configuration from your current server to one of the newer servers recommended above.
I don't know what to do about this.
Will Poker Mavens work on the new VPS they are flogging?

The price is quite a bit higher....

I sure wish there was an easy option for hosting PM on a Linux box.

Any suggestions about how to proceed?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Windows Servers being discontinued - what now?

Post by Kent Briggs »

You're probably running Windows Server 2003, which is 12 years old now. Yes, Poker Mavens will run on the 2008 and 2012 versions also. Looks like they are just using that as an excuse to charge you more. I left 1&1 years ago when it took them 8 days to respond to a technical support query when my demo site was dead in the water. I'm currently at atlantic.net on their cheapest Windows Cloud "S Server" plan at $14.97/month, running Windows Server 2008. The few times I needed support, they've responded right away.
johndoo

Post by johndoo »

This post is quite old, but I just want to confirm that it is possible (with some tweaking) to host a PM server on a cheap Linux server.
I was amazed today to see that my PM pro 4.39 linux server (with some bots playing day and night) is still running without any reboot or maintenance since the PM 4.39 version was out. :mrgreen:
So PM server (and my bots) are very stable softwares 8-)
social

Post by social »

Would you be willing to share how to do that?
I'll pay you for your time.
johndoo

Post by johndoo »

You can contact me at pokerkdo [@] mail.com , perhaps we can have a deal.
SergeGhill

Post by SergeGhill »

I also ran the Poker Mavens on Linux. It is enough to install and configure wine. If you are not familiar with Linux, you can try Zorin OS. Is a Linux distribution based on Ubuntu which already has built in support for wine