How to set up a server to run the client

For general discussion of the Poker Mavens software
Mitch8910

How to set up a server to run the client

Post by Mitch8910 »

I'm building a website, and I plan on using Poker Mavens on it. I have downloaded the trial for testing and can get it to run on the Briggs website. I wanted some help on setting up my own server to run the poker on though. I'm sure most sites that run Poker Mavens on it don't run it off the Briggs server. I've seen at least one example of the client being used, and it says it's being run from some random IP.

I wanted some help as to what the best host for my Poker Mavens client would be. I'll probably have a site like Go-Daddy host my actual website, but like I said I've seen the Poker being hosted on an IP before, I'm not too sure how I should set it up.

I don't want it to be visible on the list on the Briggs site that they host, and I'd like to have it hosted somewhere else in case Briggs crashes or something so my poker client wouldn't stop working.

Thanks, Mitch.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: How to set up a server to run the client

Post by Kent Briggs »

Just to be clear, no one is running their site on my server. You are probably referring to www.pokermavens.net which is just an optional directory of links pointing to individual sites. Setting your "Directory listing" setting to "Yes" is what adds your site to the list. Most of my customers set theirs to "No". In either case, the poker server is still running on your own hardware. See the first couple of items in the FAQ on selecting a hosting service:

http://www.briggsoft.com/pmfaq.htm
Mitch8910

Post by Mitch8910 »

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that is what I was talking about. I'm not great with this stuff, I don't know if I fully understand it, but I'll try to get it done. I had a look at the FAQ, in 3. when you say
install your poker server on an external system
, is that referring to a virtual private server? Could you make any suggestions on what to use? I expect I'll have less than 100 people playing at a time. Could be more though.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Mitch8910 wrote:is that referring to a virtual private server? Could you make any suggestions on what to use? I expect I'll have less than 100 people playing at a time. Could be more though.
Yes, either a virtual private server (VPS), often called a "cloud server". Or a dedicated server, which are more expensive but typically can handle loads when you get into the hundreds of players on at once. You just have to make sure it's running Windows, not Linux. My demo site (www.pm-demo.com) is hosted on www.atlantic.net on their cheapest Windows plan ($15/mo). If you went with GoDaddy, their Windows VPS page is at https://www.godaddy.com/pro/windows-vps. I'd suggest starting with a site's cheapest plan and then upgrade later if needed.
Mitch8910

Post by Mitch8910 »

Thanks a lot for the support, Kent. Go-Daddy's VPS minimum is quite a lot more than the $15 at www.atlantic.net that you mentioned. I'll probably start off with a cheaper version on a cheaper site, and see how that goes.