Table balancing issues with late reg

Report bugs found in Poker Mavens
Raventhon

Table balancing issues with late reg

Post by Raventhon »

When a tournament goes from 9 registered to 10 registered, the 10th person gets sat alone at a new table, then players are moved over one per hand until the tables are balanced. It should be able to move multiple people, not just one per hand. Is this behavior intended?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Table balancing issues with late reg

Post by Kent Briggs »

Raventhon wrote:When a tournament goes from 9 registered to 10 registered, the 10th person gets sat alone at a new table, then players are moved over one per hand until the tables are balanced. It should be able to move multiple people, not just one per hand. Is this behavior intended?
It's intended behavior in that I didn't want to scrap and re-write the existing table balancing code just for the new late registration feature. But I may revisit that once I'm confident all the existing bugs are worked out.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

By the way, that particular situation where you started with a single full table and then a single person registered late is the worst-case scenario. That could take up to 4 hands to get balanced. But with more tables there would be fewer hands required, and often none at all as it gets more unlikely that all tables would be full for very long.
Raventhon

Post by Raventhon »

Kent Briggs wrote:By the way, that particular situation where you started with a single full table and then a single person registered late is the worst-case scenario. That could take up to 4 hands to get balanced. But with more tables there would be fewer hands required, and often none at all as it gets more unlikely that all tables would be full for very long.
This is still a huge deal. It may be the "worst-case scenario", but it's the most frequently-occurring situation. Can't you just have it repeat balancing actions until things are balanced, then deal the next hand?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Raventhon wrote:but it's the most frequently-occurring situation.
That is statistically unlikely.
Can't you just have it repeat balancing actions until things are balanced, then deal the next hand?
I'm hesitant to mess with my balancing code because it took awhile to get right (prior to adding late registration). But I'll review it.
Raventhon

Post by Raventhon »

Kent Briggs wrote:
Raventhon wrote:but it's the most frequently-occurring situation.
That is statistically unlikely.
Can't you just have it repeat balancing actions until things are balanced, then deal the next hand?
I'm hesitant to mess with my balancing code because it took awhile to get right (prior to adding late registration). But I'll review it.
Thanks, it's appreciated. Many of the higher-buyin tournaments my site runs get between 7-12 runners on a regular basis, and having someone late reg to take it from 9 to 10 players causes 4 unbalanced hands in a row. If it wasn't such a regular occurrence, it wouldn't be a big deal, but when it happens all the time it's a little upsetting.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Table balancing speed now much improved in 4.32
Raventhon

Post by Raventhon »

Thanks, this change is wonderful! Really appreciated.