windows firewall domain profile

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
shifty1

windows firewall domain profile

Post by shifty1 »

I have used several different VPS Providers

On each I set up Filezilla Server...
Ofc it doesn't work, until I add the inbound and outbound firewall rule (by selecting the "allow program")... then it works

On each I set up Pokermavens Server...
ofc it doesnt work, then I add the inbound And outbound firewall rule (by selecting the "allow program" --> I am not selecting the PokerMavens Server shortcut but instead the direct link within Program Files (x86)\Briggs Softworks\Poker Mavens 4) ... and it still doesnt work
then I add an additional inbound & outbound rule to allow ports 8087, 8088. No dice.

However, if i turn off the "Domain Profile" firewall, Pokermavens Server works as expected.

Why does this happen?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: windows firewall domain profile

Post by Kent Briggs »

Which version of Windows is that? Are you logged in as Administrator? I recently moved my demo site to a new server (running Windows Server 2008) and all I had to do was add PMServer.exe to the exception list. Specifically:

Start
Control Panel
System & Security
Allow a program through Windows Firewall
Allow another program
Browse for C:\Program Files (x86)\Briggs Softworks\Poker Mavens 4\PMServer.exe
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Also, when I go into the "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" dialog, all three profiles (Domain, Private, Public) are active and show the same three settings:

Windows Firewall is on
Inbound connections that do not match a rule are blocked
Outbound connections that do not match a rule are allowed

So you shouldn't have to disable the Domain profile. Just adding PMServer.exe as described earlier should have automatically created the rules that prevent an inbound block.
shifty1

Post by shifty1 »

thanks for responding in such a timely manner

will follow up with more information/my findings asap