port 8087 blocked

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
smackthatace

port 8087 blocked

Post by smackthatace »

Hello Kent
My port 8087 is blocked to send Curl php to connect to my server.
even after emailing them the hosting comapny said that they cannot allow outgoing connections on that port because it is a shared server hosting.
this is where i have hosted my domain not the poker maven server.
Would getting another port from them be a better option ?
please advice.
Thankyou
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: port 8087 blocked

Post by Kent Briggs »

Being on a shared server has no relation to outbound connections so your hosting service is being stupid. But regardless, is there a web server on the machine where your poker server is installed? If not, you can use port 80 as your File Port number. The 8087 and 8088 ports are just arbitrary default settings in Poker Mavens. Any unused port numbers from 1 to 65535 can be used.
smackthatace

Post by smackthatace »

I dont think there is a web server installed on the machine but i will check to confirm that.
THe hosting company asked me to try 443, 2525, 955 and 80 and none of them seem to work.
also when it was working for 10 minutes I noticed callbacks arent working either with this host
curl requests to urls on port 80 arent even working...
Can you tell me what should be the way around this ?
should i check with another hosting company?
Thankyou
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

smackthatace wrote:I dont think there is a web server installed on the machine but i will check to confirm that.
If you can set the File Port value to 80 in the Poker Mavens settings and then put it online then there is definitely no web server running. Otherwise you would get an error message stating the port is being used by another program.
THe hosting company asked me to try 443, 2525, 955 and 80 and none of them seem to work.
Did you change the File Port value in Poker Mavens to one of those?
also when it was working for 10 minutes I noticed callbacks arent working either with this host
You should get an error message in the Error Log if there's a problem with Callbacks.
Who are you with now?
smackthatace

Post by smackthatace »

Kent Briggs wrote:
smackthatace wrote:I dont think there is a web server installed on the machine but i will check to confirm that.
If you can set the File Port value to 80 in the Poker Mavens settings and then put it online then there is definitely no web server running. Otherwise you would get an error message stating the port is being used by another program.

The server goes online on port 80.

Yes tried but it still didnt work
You should get an error message in the Error Log if there's a problem with Callbacks.

Callback event error: HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden"
Also might be useful to include that the curl error is "connect() timed out!" and the error no is 28
Who are you with now?
Nexus technologies
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

smackthatace wrote:
Yes tried but it still didnt work
Try whitelisting that port in the Windows firewall settings just to make sure the blocking is not on your end. You might try to use Curl to grab a random web page (which would be port 80) just to see if that works.
Callback event error: HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden"
I once had this issue on HostGator. They had mod_security setup so that any access from a non-browser client was getting rejected. They made a rule change in my mod_security settings that fixed it. So you're probably seeing the same thing.
smackthatace

Post by smackthatace »

Hey kent

Thanks for the help and the info. I have asked the hosting people to get back to me about the Mod setting and still there is no response.
Will let you know once they have fixed this issue.

Thanks