Poker Maven Pro - Player Experience

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
Honolua

Post by Honolua »

Aloha, I don't know if this is the correct board to post this to, so I apologize if it is not.

First, many thanks to Mr. Briggs for this great system and for his support. He is online all the time and replies accordingly, which is awesome.

I am a web developer and online poker player for many years, and feel very knowledgeable about the user/player experience, easy navigation, minimizing amount of clicks to get to their desired destination quickly, etc.

Now, for my requests for a better user experience much like other online poker rooms (I have played them all for the last 10 years).

Better client display functions:

1) Make the mobile layout the default when the user logs in - The mobile layout, IMHO, looks and functions better for full screen experience and functions more like all other online poker rooms.

2) Make desktop window larger on load so it does not show partial poker mavens background lettering - When logging in and the poker client loads in regular desktop setting, the window opens to the far left, and shows partial lettering of the Poker Mavens background. This does not look very good.

Log Out and Leave Table functions:

1) When in mobile mode, when player leaves the table, it should take the player back to the lobby or logins tab, instead of blank page showing only Poker Mavens logo.

2) in any mode, when logging out, auto redirect the player to another page in the site of the admins choosing, instead of showing the Poker Mavens background only.

3) Allow the user to change their display on the fly, if they are not on any table, instead of forcing them to logout, refreshing their browser and logging back in.

4) The users settings do not hold,if they clear their browser cache. I.e, if I set it at mobile for my PC, it should load like that every time. The settings do not hold and the player has to continually re-do their settings and go through the whole logout, login thing all over again, every time. Most internet users clear their cache periodically.

New Account Creation using the API and php examples.
1) Using the API and php New Account page, after creatng the account, it takes the user to the api, php login page, instead of the user having to refresh their browser.

I know this seems like a lot of requests, but I believe that most site owners and their players will benefit from these requests.

All of this is for an easier and better display for the users experience.

Other than these functions, I think that the Poker Mavens software is the most superior program available.

I will try and post some screen shots to explain what I mean better.

Many thanks.
Attachments
Desk top log out page
Desk top log out page
desk3.jpg (34.73 KiB) Viewed 8470 times
Desktop Table
Desktop Table
desk2.jpg (50.08 KiB) Viewed 8470 times
Desktop Lobby
Desktop Lobby
desk1.jpg (43.16 KiB) Viewed 8470 times
Honolua

Re: Poker Maven Pro - Player Experience

Post by Honolua »

A few more screen shots to help explain.
Attachments
Mobile leave table should go back to lobby
Mobile leave table should go back to lobby
mobile3.jpg (38.07 KiB) Viewed 8468 times
Mobile table functions better
Mobile table functions better
mobile2.jpg (52.87 KiB) Viewed 8468 times
Mobile display functions better
Mobile display functions better
mobile1.jpg (43.85 KiB) Viewed 8468 times
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Honolua wrote:1) Make the mobile layout the default when the user logs in - The mobile layout, IMHO, looks and functions better for full screen experience and functions more like all other online poker rooms.
The mobile layout isn't better for people who like to multi-table, since it has to stack tables on top of each other. All the major online poker rooms (PokerStars, etc.) have separate windows for the lobby and tables.
2) Make desktop window larger on load so it does not show partial poker mavens background lettering - When logging in and the poker client loads in regular desktop setting, the window opens to the far left, and shows partial lettering of the Poker Mavens background. This does not look very good.
That all depends on the size and resolution of your monitor. I'm not going to make the lobby window bigger than it needs to be just to fully cover up the background logo. I would be more likely to display it centered on the screen.
1) When in mobile mode, when player leaves the table, it should take the player back to the lobby or logins tab, instead of blank page showing only Poker Mavens logo.
2) in any mode, when logging out, auto redirect the player to another page in the site of the admins choosing, instead of showing the Poker Mavens background only.
The logo is part of subsidizing the Lite and Pro versions at a lower price. Gold version owners can remove (or replace) the logo.
3) Allow the user to change their display on the fly, if they are not on any table, instead of forcing them to logout, refreshing their browser and logging back in.
It was easier to code this way but I'm open to improving that.
4) The users settings do not hold,if they clear their browser cache. I.e, if I set it at mobile for my PC, it should load like that every time. The settings do not hold and the player has to continually re-do their settings and go through the whole logout, login thing all over again, every time. Most internet users clear their cache periodically.
User settings do hold on cache clearing. You must be clearing all data, which wipes out the database entries that the browser makes available to web apps. Don't do that if you expect to have basic settings remembered.
New Account Creation using the API and php examples.
1) Using the API and php New Account page, after creatng the account, it takes the user to the api, php login page, instead of the user having to refresh their browser.
The API Examples page is just that, examples of how the API works. A site owner should code a more complete implementation, based on their own needs.
Honolua

Post by Honolua »

Mahalo for your quick and concise reply Kent, I really appreciate that.

For the new account page, I tried editing the post part of the form to redirect to the login page, but cuould not get it to work, would you happen to have the simple line of php code for this I could use please?

For the window size, etc. I am not opposed to showing your logo until I can afford to upgrade to gold, but maybe you could just make it a bit smaller so it doesnt stick out?

All my players say they like the mobile display better using the side arrows to go to other tables they are playing. I know the major sites allow multi window, tiled on the screen play, but it appears that most as using the iframe page like me, so this only works within the iframe which has limited space to accommodate multi windows.

Using the system in an iframe has been suggested by you in many posts and I do think this works best for many reasons so the mutli window does not really work as on other sites does it?

It would be nice if when the player leaves a table in mobile display, that it takes them back to the games tab instead of a blank page though as well as when logging out, it takes the player to maybe a thanks for playing page or something made my the admin instead of a blank page.

Thanks anyway, I guess I cant really make this work the way I would like it too unless I spend more money that I cant afford right now. Until my membership can help subsidise my costs anyway.

Looking forward to seeing what can be done in the newer versions and thanks for keeping up with the updates, this is great.

Aloha
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Honolua wrote:For the new account page, I tried editing the post part of the form to redirect to the login page, but cuould not get it to work, would you happen to have the simple line of php code for this I could use please?
You can use the PHP header command to set the "Location". That will redirect to the specified URL. It has to come before any other html markup.
For the window size, etc. I am not opposed to showing your logo until I can afford to upgrade to gold, but maybe you could just make it a bit smaller so it doesnt stick out?
Like I said, that's completely dependent on the user's monitor size/resolution. And no, I'm not going to modify my logo.
Using the system in an iframe has been suggested by you in many posts and I do think this works best for many reasons so the mutli window does not really work as on other sites does it?
That depends on how much screen space you give to the iframe. You can make it 100% width and height and give the whole window to the game surface.
It would be nice if when the player leaves a table in mobile display, that it takes them back to the games tab
Except there are two game tabs, Ring Games and Tournaments. I would have to arbitrarily pick one.
Honolua

Post by Honolua »

Ok, well, maybe not redirect to the game tab, how about just back to the logins tab then?? Would that work ok?

Also, I not a php programmer per say, I do understand a bit of code and how to implement but do not know how to write specific code your talking about as of the Header part for the redirect from the new account page to the loging page.

Would you happen to be able to provide some code foe that?

I am using your php, and api for the sessions3.php login page and the NewAcct4.php pages. both work great btw, thanks!
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Honolua wrote:Also, I not a php programmer per say, I do understand a bit of code and how to implement but do not know how to write specific code your talking about as of the Header part for the redirect from the new account page to the loging page.
I can't teach programming in general but the docs for PHP's header() function are here:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.header.php
Honolua

Post by Honolua »

Thanks. I think I figured out the new account redirect and it seemed to work.