Muck losing hand?

Add your suggestions for improving Poker Mavens
hUssmann

Muck losing hand?

Post by hUssmann »

In a showdown if someone bets and is called, I feel the software should make the person first to act turn over first, and if they're beat then they should show the winning hand.

Two things personally, first I feel it's bad etiquette for the losing hand to be shown, and secondly I don't want the entire table knowing I called a certain person with Ace high.

I'm not sure how easy it is to implement, but it would be good to know if it's on the list at all.

P.S Good job on sorting out the ratholing, had been too long!
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Muck losing hand?

Post by Kent Briggs »

hUssmann wrote: Two things personally, first I feel it's bad etiquette for the losing hand to be shown, and secondly I don't want the entire table knowing I called a certain person with Ace high.
I'm actually surprised no one has brought this up before, going all the way back to version 1. All the online sites do allow losing hands at showdown to muck, unless they we're first called or in first position in a checkdown. However, all those hands are written in the hand history for anyone to see, regardless. In fact, both Full Tilt and PokerStars show them graphically with their instant replay button. The reason for this is that anyone has the right to ask the dealer to see a mucked hand (bad etiquette or not) and that is their way of simulating that.

So allowing losing hands to muck at showdown really serves no purpose other than to slow down the game waiting for each player in turn to hit the muck or show button or worse, do nothing and let it time out. So that's why I never implemented a loser-muck feature.
hUssmann

Post by hUssmann »

Kent Briggs wrote:
hUssmann wrote: Two things personally, first I feel it's bad etiquette for the losing hand to be shown, and secondly I don't want the entire table knowing I called a certain person with Ace high.
I'm actually surprised no one has brought this up before, going all the way back to version 1. All the online sites do allow losing hands at showdown to muck, unless they we're first called or in first position in a checkdown. However, all those hands are written in the hand history for anyone to see, regardless. In fact, both Full Tilt and PokerStars show them graphically with their instant replay button. The reason for this is that anyone has the right to ask the dealer to see a mucked hand (bad etiquette or not) and that is their way of simulating that.

So allowing losing hands to muck at showdown really serves no purpose other than to slow down the game waiting for each player in turn to hit the muck or show button or worse, do nothing and let it time out. So that's why I never implemented a loser-muck feature.
I thought I'd bring it up anyway, thanks for the reply mate, it makes sense as you don't want to slow the game down and I wasn't completely aware of that function on full tilt.. I play there a lot just don't use that feature.

Rules or not though, etiquette should be followed. You can legally shout in the middle of someones backswing in golf, but you don't do it because it's bad etiquette..
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

hUssmann wrote:Rules or not though, etiquette should be followed. You can legally shout in the middle of someones backswing in golf, but you don't do it because it's bad etiquette..
That's not really a comparable analogy but I'll consider adding loser-mucking as an option that the admin can turn on or off.