Assistance with API

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
fstetson

Assistance with API

Post by fstetson »

Hello,

Let me start off by saying I am the novice of novice's when it comes to programming.

I recently went into a diability retirement status last month as a result of cancer treatment side effects that will have me down
for another 6-12 months. My memory is not what it used to be due to the head radiation, however I am trying. To indulge my free
time and exercise my mind, as well as potentially subsidizing the lost income, I have decided to work on a web project for a
moderate sized group of poker players. I am using Poker Maven's Pro, Version 2.87 with great success running it on a local
server and having invited guests hit it via the local IP. Now, I want to make it accessible from my web site and expand the group
to more players.

Is there anyone out there who can help me? I have the base information from the official support page, and just do not know how to handle this? I am using
DotNukeNet Community (v5.06) on a hosted server.

Any help you can provide in creating a DotNetNuke widget, or module in the future woould be extrememly welcomed, however for now, i am just trying to figure out how to use the existing information.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Assistance with API

Post by Kent Briggs »

fstetson wrote:Now, I want to make it accessible from my web site and expand the group
to more players.
Just doing that doesn't require any API programming. Just put a link or iframe tag on your web site that points to your poker server's Internet IP address instead of the Local IP address. If there is a router on your system, you'll need to go into your router setup screen and port forward 8087 and 8088 (or whatever you are using for file and packet ports) to your local IP so that the outside world can get in.
fstetson

Post by fstetson »

Really that easy...let me try it out. Thanks! What if I wanted to host my PM Server on the hosted server, and tie websoite logins to PM?
fstetson

Post by fstetson »

Too easy, how do I impose the password api text to ensure it is not passed...I used the following input to invoke the include:

http://192.168.2.5:8087/?SitePassword=12345

I have the password.php in a unique folder above my root directory, and your instructions say to replace the $pw variable of the Poker_API function for the include statement. I don't see where I would do this except on my local server, and then I don't understand why?

I would use it like this; (note x's placed to protect my security)

<?php
include "http://wcpokerplayers.com/xxxxxxx/passw ... ssword.php";
?>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I just need to play with DotNet Nuke to figure out how I can eliminate panes, so I can see the entire screen (100%).
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

fstetson wrote:Really that easy...let me try it out. Thanks! What if I wanted to host my PM Server on the hosted server, and tie websoite logins to PM?
Then that would require programming on your end. Poker Mavens includes API commands to access all of the player account info so you would need to develop your own logic on what ties the web site account to the poker site account. Then you can log them in automatically by either passing their credentials as parameters in the link or using the preferred method of a one-time session key. That's explained in the help under Technical Info | Misc.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

fstetson wrote:Too easy, how do I impose the password api text to ensure it is not passed...I used the following input to invoke the include:
http://192.168.2.5:8087/?SitePassword=12345
The API is not involved in a direct link. If you leave off the SitePassword parameter, the players will be prompted for it manually.
I have the password.php in a unique folder above my root directory, and your instructions say to replace the $pw variable of the Poker_API function for the include statement. I don't see where I would do this except on my local server, and then I don't understand why?
That's referring to the API password, not the Site password. Isn't DotNetDuke an ASP.Net based CMS? If so, you would likely be making API calls in ASP.Net instead of PHP. Or maybe it supports both, I don't know anything about it.
I would use it like this; (note x's placed to protect my security)

<?php
include "http://wcpokerplayers.com/xxxxxxx/passw ... ssword.php";
?>
No, that's not safe. Any path that is reachable via HTTP would be exposed to the outside world. You should place that file in folder outside of the www structure and the include statement would access it via a direct path.
fstetson

Post by fstetson »

Thanks, looks like my desires are going to be beyond my capabilities for now. I finally have the web site working for now.....I am gloing to try some of your other scripts over the nest week. I am full of questions, and hope I do not burden you too much.

I may have to look to professional help eventually, as I can afford it. Meanwhile, I believe there is a way for me to access my server remotely and perform administraive work. I saw a neat interface you had to add tables and tournaments. Going to play with those, as well.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

fstetson wrote:Meanwhile, I believe there is a way for me to access my server remotely and perform administraive work
Set a password for the "Administration password" setting and then you can access most poker settings remotely by appending "\admin" to your site's URL in any browser. You can also do remote access work from the "Remote Desktop Connection" feature built into some copies of Windows or with a free VNC program like UltraVNC.