Client-side input lag.

Report bugs found in Poker Mavens
Tukka

Client-side input lag.

Post by Tukka »

I'm not sure if this is a bug with Mavens or an issue with Flash or something else, but here's my problem.

After a short time playing (like 5-10 minutes), all user input that is more involved than a simple button click (that is, trying to chat, input a bet, or use the betting slider) is very stuttery/choppy. I'll type in a short sentence and it won't show up as completed in the input box until several seconds after I've started typing. What's worse, is that while I'm waiting for this input to be processed, I can't do anything else (like make bets). Sometimes I'll accidentally right-click the screen and the pull-down menu pops up, and I'm unable to clear it away before my betting timer has expired. I can alt-tab to other applications and they all seem to run fine.

The game does run fairly smoothly at first, but after a few minutes, I have to be extra careful. A few other people I've played with have complained of similar issues or lag in general, but most people don't seem to have a problem.

System specs:

Windows 7 (64 bit), Firefox 3.6.6, Flash Player 10.1.

Phenom II X4 940, 4 GB RAM, 189 GB of free hard drive space.

I experience this lag with 27% CPU usage and 37% memory usage, according to Task Manager.

I've also tried using uninstalling/reinstalling Flash a few times, enabling/disabling hardware acceleration in Flash, and using Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385, all to no avail.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Client-side input lag.

Post by Kent Briggs »

Tukka wrote: After a short time playing (like 5-10 minutes), all user input that is more involved than a simple button click (that is, trying to chat, input a bet, or use the betting slider) is very stuttery/choppy.
What happens if you go to my demo site at http://www.pmserver.net and just mess around there? Does typing in the chat get slower after a while?
I experience this lag with 27% CPU usage and 37% memory usage, according to Task Manager.
Is all that CPU usage taken by the web browser? When the game is smooth at first, is the usage any lower?
Tukka

Post by Tukka »

What happens if you go to my demo site at http://www.pmserver.net and just mess around there? Does typing in the chat get slower after a while?
Performance is good and doesn't appear to degrade with time on that server.
Is all that CPU usage taken by the web browser? When the game is smooth at first, is the usage any lower?
The lion's share of the CPU usage comes from a process called "plugin-container.exe". CPU usage does indeed increase over time.

It starts out at about 1-3% before opening Mavens. After opening Mavens it jumps to a maximum of about 16%. On your demo site, the usage hovers around 2-15%, with or without a table open ... about the same seems to be true on the active Mavens server I play on, until I open an active table, which seems to be when the CPU usage starts to climb. After several minutes, it gets up around 20-25% if I'm not doing anything, and when I try chatting, it jumps by around 5% and the input is choppy.

Edit: I tried a different active public server from the one I usually play on and experienced the same problem.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Tukka wrote: The lion's share of the CPU usage comes from a process called "plugin-container.exe". CPU usage does indeed increase over time.
When I Google for that I see all kinds of threads on how that program is crashing Flash. Try disabling it inside FireFox and see what that does.
Tukka

Post by Tukka »

Thanks, disabling that process seems to have resolved the issue. :)