API and HTML Examples

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
betmylines

Re: API and HTML Examples

Post by betmylines »

Hi..

Just wanted to know where in the 1&1 windows VPS Server do you install all these scripts and the http:// path to the files.. I'm completely new to using a windows server... I've been using Linux server... so please help me out. Clear and Detailed instructions will be greatly appreciated....Thanks in advanced...

- Peter
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

betmylines wrote: Just wanted to know where in the 1&1 windows VPS Server do you install all these scripts and the http:// path to the files.. I'm completely new to using a windows server... I've been using Linux server... so please help me out. Clear and Detailed instructions will be greatly appreciated....Thanks in advanced...
The API scripts don't need to be on the same machine as the game server. If you already have a Linux server running with PHP or other scripting system, you can run them there. And that can be on a cheap shared hosting plan since they all offer PHP/MySQL features.

Otherwise, you'll need to manually install PHP on your Windows VPS and make it work with the IIS web server that is running there by default. Or write your scripts in ASP.NET. Or jettison the IIS web server and install Apache and PHP. You can see how the first option is the easiest.
social

Post by social »

Kent Briggs wrote: Or jettison the IIS web server and install Apache and PHP. You can see how the first option is the easiest.
I am new to understanding servers. I am used to Linux servers, and know nothing beyond c-Panel depth.
I do not understand the comment about "jettison the IIS server and install Apache and PHP.
I assume that Apache and PHP are found on Linux servers normally, so you are saying he could install those so that he could use them to run the PHP scripts he normally uses.
"jettison" means to get rid of IIS server...but I thought that was what makes it a Windows server, and that your script will not run without it?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

social wrote: I do not understand the comment about "jettison the IIS server and install Apache and PHP.
I assume that Apache and PHP are found on Linux servers normally, so you are saying he could install those so that he could use them to run the PHP scripts he normally uses.
"jettison" means to get rid of IIS server...but I thought that was what makes it a Windows server, and that your script will not run without it?
The Windows operating system is what makes a server "Windows", typically Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008 for VPS and dedicated machines. IIS is Microsoft's web server software and only runs under Windows and is usually pre-installed on Windows servers. Apache is also web server software but it comes in both Linux and Windows versions (and several other operating systems).

Poker Mavens doesn't use IIS or Apache because it acts as its own crude web server with just enough functionality to serve the Flash SWF client and misc media files. It does not integrate scripting systems like PHP or ASP.Net, however, which is why those need to be installed somewhere else if you want to use the Poker Mavens API. The API is accessed via standard HTTP calls so the scripting can be installed on the other side of the world, if needed.
lildamien09

Post by lildamien09 »

Hey kent.. im running into a problem you might be able to help me with.. i have a dedicated server @ a colocation center i set up.. initially i had a webserver on it which i used for the api scripts and what not.. everything worked great.. i have my own web hosting reseller account now and i moved everything to it.. the problem im having is that it continues to give me an error saying connection failed.. curl is on and enabled..im not getting any undefined function errors or anything.. what do you think the problem might be..the server running poker mavens doesnt have a firewall or security programs running being its the only thing on it :/ .. here are 2 links..one is the original where the file was and the other is my resller account..

http://tnt-squadfiles.com/LEBCL.php - ORIGINAL
http://tnt-squadhosting.com/LEBCL.php - NEW LOCATION
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

lildamien09 wrote:Hey kent.. im running into a problem you might be able to help me with.. i have a dedicated server @ a colocation center i set up.. initially i had a webserver on it which i used for the api scripts and what not.. everything worked great.. i have my own web hosting reseller account now and i moved everything to it.. the problem im having is that it continues to give me an error saying connection failed.. curl is on and enabled..im not getting any undefined function errors or anything.. what do you think the problem might be..the server running poker mavens doesnt have a firewall or security programs running being its the only thing on it :/ .. here are 2 links..one is the original where the file was and the other is my resller account..

http://tnt-squadfiles.com/LEBCL.php - ORIGINAL
http://tnt-squadhosting.com/LEBCL.php - NEW LOCATION
Which system is actually hosting your poker server? Are both scripts connecting to the same poker server?
lildamien09

Post by lildamien09 »

the poker server itself is here in my home..the original script is on a web server i made which is located in a colocation center in dallas, tx..i copied all of my scripts and site over to my new web hosting server.. Yes both are connecting to the same server. all i did was copy it over to the new webserver.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

lildamien09 wrote:the poker server itself is here in my home..the original script is on a web server i made which is located in a colocation center in dallas, tx..i copied all of my scripts and site over to my new web hosting server.. Yes both are connecting to the same server. all i did was copy it over to the new webserver.
I wonder if there could be something in your PHP configuration on the new site that is blocking it from connecting to outside servers?
lildamien09

Post by lildamien09 »

Thats what i told the techs on my reseller account.. i think they have some sort of server firewall thats blocking port connections or something.. idont know.. i gave and told them everything i know. still havent herd back from them though.. :S.. i should tell them to just give me remote access to the file and let me fix it myself :)
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

lildamien09 wrote: i think they have some sort of server firewall thats blocking port connections or something.
That could be it, too. Perhaps it's only allowing port 80. You could setup a PHP test to try and fetch an external web page with the curl functions and see if that works.