installing on a remote server

For general discussion of the Poker Mavens software
Mr.Victor

installing on a remote server

Post by Mr.Victor »

How do I set this up on a remote server since I don't really want to run this from my home? Can I purchase a shared hosting plan (windows obv) or do I need a dedicated server?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: installing on a remote server

Post by Kent Briggs »

Mr.Victor wrote:How do I set this up on a remote server since I don't really want to run this from my home? Can I purchase a shared hosting plan (windows obv) or do I need a dedicated server?
You cannot use a shared plan because those systems will not allow you to install custom software on their server. If you crashed or rebooted it, it would bring everyone else down and there might literally be hundreds of accounts on one machine. I'd suggest starting out with a Windows VPS server which gives you your own instance of Windows that you can reboot without affecting anyone else. The least expensive Windows VPS I've seen is at 1and1.com ($29/month) where I have my demo server (http://www.pmserver.net).
Mr.Victor

Post by Mr.Victor »

I found a web host that offers Windows VPS for $18/mo. Will this be able to handle 100 player tournaments (I'm not there yet but want to be ready for it)? Here are the stats:

Windows 2003 VPS Plan:

Lite

Administrator Access:

YES

Dedicated RAM:

512 MB

Remote Desktop Connection :

Disk Space:

6 GB

Bandwidth/mo.:

200 GB

Dedicated IP Address:

1DNS Hosting:

YES

Firewall/Intrusion Protection:

YES

Plesk 9.0:
Single Domain, 64-Bit Only

N/A

NEW! MS SQL 2005 Hosting:

$10 - 1GB

99.9% Uptime Guarantee:

YES

Backups/Restores:

YES

Install / Run Programs (.exe):

YES

Setup Fee:

$0

Unlimited 24x7 Technical Support:

YES

Price for 3 mth pre-payment:

$17

Price - Monthly:

$18
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Mr.Victor wrote:I found a web host that offers Windows VPS for $18/mo. Will this be able to handle 100 player tournaments (I'm not there yet but want to be ready for it)? Here are the stats:
That's probably good enough, assuming it includes a fast internet connection (typically 100 Mbps).
Mr.Victor

Post by Mr.Victor »

I have poker mavens installed on my laptop right now for testing and whatnot but when I install it on my VPS (as soon as it's set up) how can I copy all the settings and users over so I don't have to do everything all over again?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Mr.Victor wrote:I have poker mavens installed on my laptop right now for testing and whatnot but when I install it on my VPS (as soon as it's set up) how can I copy all the settings and users over so I don't have to do everything all over again?
All the game, account, and log files are saved in your "Data folder" so you can just copy those over to the new machine and specify that location as your data folder there. "Data folder" is one of your settings on the System tab. The system settings, however, are stored in the Windows registry so to copy those over, use the Export/Import functions on the Help menu on the System tab.

To copy files from a local pc to a remote VPS, you must go into the Options section of Remote Desktop Connection and check the box that includes your drives as a local resource. Then when you run Windows Explorer on the VPS, it will show drives on both computers and you can use copy and paste to move your files.
Mr.Victor

Post by Mr.Victor »

Kent,

When I first moved my game server over to my VPS the export/import of the registry stuff worked fine. I also copied over the data folder but for some reason the game server wouldn't recognize my players on the VPS but if I remember correctly everything else was fine. I didn't make a big deal of it then because I only had 3 accounts set up so I just recreated them. Now I have many more accounts and I'm going to be moving the game server over to my dedicated server and I want to make sure it works. Did I do something wrong? I just want to make sure the transition is smooth when I make the move in the next day or two.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Mr.Victor wrote:Kent,

When I first moved my game server over to my VPS the export/import of the registry stuff worked fine. I also copied over the data folder but for some reason the game server wouldn't recognize my players on the VPS but if I remember correctly everything else was fine. I didn't make a big deal of it then because I only had 3 accounts set up so I just recreated them. Now I have many more accounts and I'm going to be moving the game server over to my dedicated server and I want to make sure it works. Did I do something wrong? I just want to make sure the transition is smooth when I make the move in the next day or two.
Are you going from Windows 2003 to 2008? I ask because 2003 uses the "XP" path for documents (i.e., C:\Documents and Settings\..) whereas 2008 uses the "Vista/7" path (C:\Users\..). In any case, all you need to do is set the "Data folder" property to where you put the data, then restart the program and it should load all the tables, accounts, etc.
Mr.Victor

Post by Mr.Victor »

hmmm....maybe I didn't restart? can't remember...anyhow I will let you know if I have any problems.
Mr.Victor

Post by Mr.Victor »

Hi Kent. I just want to tell you that your support for the Poker Mavens software has been superior. I am so impressed and glad I found this program. I will be upgrading to gold as soon as I scrape up the funds. I just wish all support was as good as yours. I just got a dedicated server setup. The price was great but the support is far from great. Response times are terrible. So I'm hoping maybe you can help me. I moved over to Windows Server 2008 (from 2003). I changed all the appropriate paths and all. Here is the email I sent to my hosting company:

Hi I need my game server up ASAP! I just shut my game server down on my other VPS and need to get it running on my dedicated server. It is working if I go to the address from within Firefox in the Remote Desktop Connection (I can access the game server online from within my dedicated server) but when I try to go to the address from my local computers it will not connect. This is the address:

http://64.120.167.58:8087/?SitePassword=tpwm

This is the error I'm getting:

The connection has timed out

The server at 64.120.167.58 is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I'm thinking it may be a firewall thing but not sure. Please help me get this working if possible. Thank you.

-Victor Chaves

Any ideas Kent?