For general discussion of the Poker Mavens software
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Poker Mavens 2.77 Released

Post by Kent Briggs »

Upgrade patches:

http://www.briggsoft.com/patches.htm

Changes:

Fixed a thread-safety bug when serving media files to client. Two or more clients requesting the same graphic file at the same time could result in them getting a corrupted image.
rjones33

Re: Poker Mavens 2.77 Released

Post by rjones33 »

I think some of my players were experiencing this on Monday night at our league tournament. Would that have caused the table not to load at all? I just upgraded the server so hopefully everyone will get to play tonight. Thanks!
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

rjones33 wrote:I think some of my players were experiencing this on Monday night at our league tournament. Would that have caused the table not to load at all?
Yes, if you were running 2.76, which now serves all the media files directly from a memory block instead of the slower disk file. For anyone interested in the technical reason:

The problem was, I was using a shared TMemoryStream object (a Delphi object) to hold the file, which is not thread safe even in read-only situations because it contains a pointer that moves with the streamed data. So when two people requested a file at the exact same time, they both tried to move that pointer and it created a conflict possibly resulting in the first guy getting a corrupted image and the second guy getting nothing at all. Most people would have already had the files in their browser cache so it didn't affect them. Anyway the fix in 2.77 was to create a new TMemoryStream on-the-fly with each file request and then to point it to the memory block of the shared TMemoryStream that actually holds the file. Now each connection has it's own set of pointers but you still get the benefit of serving files directly from memory. CentPoker.com has been beta testing this for me and it seems to be working now. If you have players who still have graphics issue, have them clear their browser cache (delete the temp internet file) in case it contains a corrupted copy from before.
Demented

Post by Demented »

The new release is working perfectly with the fix to the thread-safe issue.