Router Setup Help Needed

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
duffman471

Router Setup Help Needed

Post by duffman471 »

After reading the content on this site and in the help contents, and multiple attempts over the last month, I officially need help with port access and forwarding setup. My main issue is that the setting options for my router don't match any of the help info I've seen documented. I would appreciate any recommendations or answers to the questions in blue.

So here's exactly what I'm seeing for my firewall options: (using Verizon FIOS Router and Windows Vista)

Port Triggering (Open ports for incoming data): When opening this option I have options for two categories: "Server Ports (Outgoing Trigger Ports)" and "Opened Ports (Incoming ports to open)" When adding an entry for either option I get the following options:
* Protocol - Set to TCP of course
* Source Ports - Can be set to "Any", "Single", or "Range" (two data boxes provided): Should this be single or range? If single do I enter 8087 or 8088?
* Destination Ports - Can be set to "Any", "Single", or "Range" (two data boxes provided): same question as above

Do I need to fill in source and destination port data for each of these categories (i.e., Server Ports and Opened Ports) or just for "Server Ports"?

Port Forwarding: When selecting the option to add a new rule I have the following options
* Specify Address: Local IP entered Currently set to "All broadband devices". Other options are "broadband (ethernet)", broadband (coax), and "WAN PPPoE"
* Forward to Port: Options are "Same as incoming" or I can specify a port ID: Which one is appropriate?

* Rule Definition Options: When adding a rule I select TCP as the protocol and then have to enter port(s) for the following two categories: Source Ports (Single or Range) and Destination Ports (Single or Range): Any suggestions as to the proper data entry for these two options?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I'm tearing my hair out trying all kinds of permutations but nothing seems to work. I can say that I was getting error messages that "Firefox could not open port 8087" until I started entering 8087-8088 IDs to the Port Triggering options. Unfortunately I couldn't get any further and I'd get a "server timed out" message when trying to enter my poker room
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Router Setup Help Needed

Post by Kent Briggs »

duffman471 wrote:Port Triggering
Forget port triggering, you don't need that.
Port Forwarding: When selecting the option to add a new rule I have the following options
* Specify Address: Local IP entered Currently set to "All broadband devices". Other options are "broadband (ethernet)", broadband (coax), and "WAN PPPoE"
* Forward to Port: Options are "Same as incoming" or I can specify a port ID: Which one is appropriate?

* Rule Definition Options: When adding a rule I select TCP as the protocol and then have to enter port(s) for the following two categories: Source Ports (Single or Range) and Destination Ports (Single or Range): Any suggestions as to the proper data entry for these two options?
Some routers allow you to remap ports so that the one you advertise to the rest of the world gets pointed to a different one on your PC. Sometimes they refer to those as source and destination or public and local, etc. You don't need that option, your source and destination will be the same (8087 pointing to 8087 and 8088 pointing to 8088, assuming you are using the default settings). You can either create a separate entry for each or a range of 8087 to 8088 as a single entry. Both need to point to your local LAN IP (typically 192.168.1.xxx).
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

duffman471 wrote:So here's exactly what I'm seeing for my firewall options: (using Verizon FIOS Router and Windows Vista)
By the way, is this an ActionTec router? What is the exact model number?
duffman471

Post by duffman471 »

The router is an ActionTek MI424-WR Rev D

I did what I believe you recommended (as shown below) and got the following message when attempting to access the poker room: Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 173.xx.xxx.xxx:8087. The 173 address shows as my internet IP address in the poker mavens system settings tab

What I did
1) Nothing set for port triggering options
2) Entered new rule for Port Forwarding as follows
* Entered my IPv4 Address (192.168.x.x) for the "Networked Computer/Device" Option. I trust this is correct since the gateway address 192.168.1.1 won't take as I get the following error: The IP address 192.168.1.1 conflicts with Subnet connection's IP.
* Selected "All Broadband Devices" for the "Wan Connection Type" option
* Selected "Same as Incoming Port" for the "Forward to Port" option
* Selected "Always" for the "When should this rule occur option as opposed to setting a schedule
* For the Protocol settings I added two entries. For the first TCP rule I set the source and destination port entries to "Single" and specified 8087 for each entry. For the second rule I did the same but set the ID to 8088. When that didn't work and I tried using one rule with the source and destination options set as a range between 8087 and 8088. I got the exact same Firefox error message defined above

Man do I need a beer... Any additional advice is greatly appreciated
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

duffman471 wrote:The router is an ActionTek MI424-WR Rev D
Generic instructions for that model can be found here at portforward.com:

http://www.portforward.com/english/rout ... efault.htm
I did what I believe you recommended (as shown below) and got the following message when attempting to access the poker room: Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 173.xx.xxx.xxx:8087. The 173 address shows as my internet IP address in the poker mavens system settings tab
Is that a static IP provided by your ISP? Double-click the Internet IP address setting in Poker Mavens' Site Information group and then click the Lookup button to make sure that IP hasn't changed.
* Entered my IPv4 Address (192.168.x.x) for the "Networked Computer/Device" Option. I trust this is correct since the gateway address 192.168.1.1 won't take as I get the following error: The IP address 192.168.1.1 conflicts with Subnet connection's IP.
192.168.1.1 is probably the IP address for the router itself. You want to forward to the IP of your computer and that address has to match the one that should be shown as "Local IP Address" in Poker Mavens' Server Settings group. You may also have the 127.0.0.1 localhost address in there but you can't forward to it.
* Selected "All Broadband Devices" for the "Wan Connection Type" option
* Selected "Same as Incoming Port" for the "Forward to Port" option
* Selected "Always" for the "When should this rule occur option as opposed to setting a schedule
* For the Protocol settings I added two entries. For the first TCP rule I set the source and destination port entries to "Single" and specified 8087 for each entry. For the second rule I did the same but set the ID to 8088. When that didn't work and I tried using one rule with the source and destination options set as a range between 8087 and 8088. I got the exact same Firefox error message defined above
That all looks correct to me according to what I see at portforward.com. After double-checking everything above, email me your Internet IP and I'll try connecting. Or set "Directory listing" to Yes to list at http://www.pokermavens.net and let me know the site name (and site password if used). Also, you may not be able to connect to your own computer using your Internet IP (use the Local IP instead) so you may need an outside contact to test it anyway.
duffman471

Post by duffman471 »

Kent Briggs wrote:Is that a static IP provided by your ISP? Double-click the Internet IP address setting in Poker Mavens' Site Information group and then click the Lookup button to make sure that IP hasn't changed.
Confirmed static IP
Kent Briggs wrote:You want to forward to the IP of your computer and that address has to match the one that should be shown as "Local IP Address" in Poker Mavens' Server Settings group
Confirmed

Kent Briggs wrote:Generic instructions for that model can be found here at portforward.com
Followed instructions which as you say look consistent with what I've set. Also downloaded port checker and it states that 8087 and 8087 are not open or not reachable. Is there anything else you recommend trying or shall I email you as you requested.

When I first bought the pro version (last year I think) and admin friend of mine helped me get it working. Recently though I built a new computer and the router had to be reset. Lost all my settings. Thanks again for your assistance. If I can get my server running again it will all be worth it.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

duffman471 wrote: Followed instructions which as you say look consistent with what I've set. Also downloaded port checker and it states that 8087 and 8087 are not open or not reachable. Is there anything else you recommend trying or shall I email you as you requested.
Could be a firewall issue. Go into your Windows firewall settings and specifically add the PMServer.exe program file and the two ports to the exception/unblock lists.
duffman471

Post by duffman471 »

I wish I could say that was it. I had Windows Firewall turned off previously. Regardless, I added 8087 and 8088 as TCP port exceptions. No change. PFPortChecker doesn't see the two numbers
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

duffman471 wrote:I wish I could say that was it. I had Windows Firewall turned off previously. Regardless, I added 8087 and 8088 as TCP port exceptions. No change. PFPortChecker doesn't see the two numbers
Is your Verizon account a residential or business account? If residential, are you sure they aren't blocking you from setting up a home server? I've heard conflicting things about Verizon's terms of service. In any case, I'd suggest taking a screenshot of your router's port forwarding setup and Poker Mavens' System tab and email those to me to look over.
duffman471

Post by duffman471 »

This is a home account that goes with my TV and phone with Verizon Fios. Last year with the help of an IT Admin we definitely had it working.

I'll take the screen captures right away and send em to ya. Thanks and have a good weekend m8
Last edited by duffman471 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.