Player Registration Utility 2.0 Released

For general discussion of the Poker Mavens software
rjones33

Player Registration Utility 2.0 Released

Post by rjones33 »

Hey guys,

I just finished up with version 2.0 of the Player Registration Utility. I fixed some bugs and added some features to the program. You can now register all players for every tournament with one click. Also updated the documentation. Give it a test run and feel free to add suggestions or comments. Enjoy!. Here is the download link:

http://www.pokersharkz.net/Downloads/Pl ... tion20.zip
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Player Registration Utility 2.0 Released

Post by Kent Briggs »

I tried just installing over version 1 but the icon it put on my desktop kept pointing back to version 1 so I had to do an uninstall first. But then it worked. I did noticed that if you try to register the players with the game server offline, it gives a "Players Registered" message as if it succeeded.
rjones33

Post by rjones33 »

Kent Briggs wrote:I tried just installing over version 1 but the icon it put on my desktop kept pointing back to version 1 so I had to do an uninstall first. But then it worked.
It is supposed to pop up a message saying that you must uninstall the old version first. I'm not that good with setup and deployment as of yet :) I'll work on that
Kent Briggs wrote:I did noticed that if you try to register the players with the game server offline, it gives a "Players Registered" message as if it succeeded.
Never even thought about checking the server status. I'll add that in at some point. Thanks for the feedback.
MonTheHoops

Post by MonTheHoops »

Just tried this but it doesnt seem to do anything, I reg for a tourny then populate tournies but none ever show up in the list.

In the settings it asks for Server name, I assume this should be the same as Site Name in Poker Mavens settings? It would help if each field was named the same I suppose.

Cheers for this though, I'll keep at it
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

MonTheHoops wrote:Just tried this but it doesnt seem to do anything, I reg for a tourny then populate tournies but none ever show up in the list.
You've got to simulate a crash so that a crash file gets made. The easiest way is to use the Windows Task Manager and just kill the PMServer.exe process while the game is online.
rjones33

Post by rjones33 »

Kent,

Once a player registers for a tournament the crash file gets created....correct? This is what I have seen while testing. I have never had to kill the server process or anything. The way it should work is that once players are registered for tournaments, the crash files are created. The admin can then run the player registration program to copy the crash files to a temp location because when the server restarts, the crash files are gone. So, MonTheHoops, the first step would be to hit the copy files button before you can populate the tournaments drop down box. Have you tried it in that sequence? Let me know. The steps should be listed in the documentation.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

rjones33 wrote:Once a player registers for a tournament the crash file gets created....correct?
Yeah, I was just thinking about an actual crash rather than a planned shutdown and restart. I forgot your utility can work in both scenarios.
CanadaWest

Post by CanadaWest »

HEY! I like this! Well done Mr. Jones.

This is API driven so can work from any machine, right? No need to have it running in the background on the server then.

It would be good to have this utility copy the crash protect files automatically every X minutes.

Then, if there is an unforeseen crash or server shutdown, the data will be there.

Still, nicely done. I'll give it a try.
George
(CanadaWest)
www.playersclub.ca
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

CanadaWest wrote: This is API driven so can work from any machine, right? No need to have it running in the background on the server then.
The crash files are not accessible via the API so his utility has to be local.
It would be good to have this utility copy the crash protect files automatically every X minutes.
The crash files are self-updating on every hand so that wouldn't be needed.
CanadaWest

Post by CanadaWest »

Hmmm, yes, I figured that out. Would be nice to run it without installing to the server. Still a good idea though.

I think you might be missing something though, Kent. Your crash protect files are updated every hand, true, but the files this Player Reg Utility uses to populate tourneys are the temp files it creates when it reads your crash protect files. Part of what Jones had to overcome was the fact that, in a crash, your crash protect files are gone when the server comes back online, so no data.

So, the admin has to use Jones' app to record the data from your crash protect files BEFORE taking the server offline.

What I was suggesting is that Jones could have his app auto record that data periodically so that in an unforeseen shutdown (ie a Crash), the data in the Player Reg Utility's temp file is as up to date and accurate as possible.

Or am I missing something?
George
(CanadaWest)
www.playersclub.ca