random seat draw for cash games

Add your suggestions for improving Poker Mavens
navels

random seat draw for cash games

Post by navels »

I'm just begging you please, this is such a basic thing.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: random seat draw for cash games

Post by Kent Briggs »

navels wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:54 pm I'm just begging you please, this is such a basic thing.
That makes no sense, people can come and go as they please at a ring table. If you forced them into a random seat that they didn't want, they would just leave and come right back again over and over until they got the seat they wanted to begin with. When most people pick a seat they aim for the first empty one that will next get the BB position so they can be dealt in right away without having to post a BB out of position.
navels

Post by navels »

Kent Briggs wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:05 am
navels wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:54 pm I'm just begging you please, this is such a basic thing.
That makes no sense, people can come and go as they please at a ring table. If you forced them into a random seat that they didn't want, they would just leave and come right back again over and over until they got the seat they wanted to begin with. When most people pick a seat they aim for the first empty one that will next get the BB position so they can be dealt in right away without having to post a BB out of position.
In my games, that is not how people choose a seat. They try to get position on the LAGs. Making the table seating random is how we mitigate this in live home games. Sure, online someone could sit in and out until they get the seat they want, but nobody in our games is going to do that as it is obviously bad etiquette. What we can't do is ask people to sit themselves randomly the first time, nobody is going to do that.
BaxtersClub

Post by BaxtersClub »

Same issue in my ring games. Players will lag behind on getting into the game until they can get position on certain players or prevent certain players getting position on them. But I don't think randomizing the seats would deter my players from trying to jockey around. And I know, because I am the guy most impacted by this. Everybody wants to sit on my left, and nobody wants to be on my right.

In my head, the best solution is to have full tables. If there is a waiting list, players coming in get whatever seat opens up. Lately I have been able to run 9/10 handed tables that are full for at least part of the evening. But for a while, I was seriously considering only offering 6-max, just to combat some of the gamesmanship over seating. I don't care a whole lot as a player. But I don't want it to deter the folks who do.
ftpjesus

Post by ftpjesus »

Maybe Kent could add it as an option if yall ask nicely to allow random seat assignments as an option but this wouldnt be something totally easily done in a next update type of thing.. Maybe in 7.20 or something down the road. I dont know the ins and outs of what would be needed but Im sure its not that simple but I agree if somebody wanted it as an option on their site I would suppose it would be something to consider. just my 2cts and due to inflation thats shrinking real quick maybe i should at least expect to have to pay a 5cts by now.. ;)
Owner Operator of (TBA)
http://www.( TBA ) .com (Home Page)
http://www. (TBA) .net (Play Money)
http://www. (TBA) .eu (BTC Token tied currency and Stable Coins through Crypto quasi real money play)