PKOs

Add your suggestions for improving Poker Mavens
BaxtersClub

PKOs

Post by BaxtersClub »

I am very new to Poker Mavens. I just bought a gold license days before Version 7 went live. I haven't had any real games on my site yet. My group is still playing on PokerStars for another week or two, while I get everything setup. I am blown away by what is included and how effective it is. That being said, the only game we currently play on PokerStars that we can't, as far as I can tell, port over to Poker Mavens is progressive knockouts (PKOs.)

I fully understand if it is too complicated, or not in high demand. PokerStars hasn't done a great job of implementing it either. But I wanted to mention it in the context of a wish list.

Also, in looking around to see if it had been discussed previously, I did see an old thread where somebody was suggesting using a callback function to kinda "roll your own." I'd be interested to learn if that has been done.
jadelaar

Re: PKOs

Post by jadelaar »

It's definitely been requested, and I don't think it's as unpopular as you might think at first. If I had it, I'd run at least one progressive tournament a week (out of 2-3). LMK if you need any tips on the migration. I did the same migration from PokerStars at the beginning of the pandemic, so I've been up and running for a few years.
BaxtersClub

Post by BaxtersClub »

jadelaar wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:38 pm It's definitely been requested, and I don't think it's as unpopular as you might think at first. If I had it, I'd run at least one progressive tournament a week (out of 2-3). LMK if you need any tips on the migration. I did the same migration from PokerStars at the beginning of the pandemic, so I've been up and running for a few years.
Thanks. I kinda took a step back for the last few weeks. Both my brother, a huge part of my poker group, and my mother-in-law passed away. So been dealing with a lot of family stuff. About to get going on the poker site again. Hoping to get off of PokerStars and onto my Poker Mavens site in the next couple of weeks.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

This feature was just added to 7.07
BaxtersClub

Post by BaxtersClub »

Thank you so much. I am going to try to get the patch installed and get one of these scheduled, hopefully this week.
Supersonics

Post by Supersonics »

Has anyone run a PKO tourney? I'm planning on running my first one on Saturday and just wanted to hear any feedback.

I'm planning to have a 60 chip buy-in, and a 30 chip bounty. From what I understand, a player will receive 50% of that bounty immediately, so 15 chips, and the other 15 chips will be added to their bounty. So in that situation, the bounty on their head just increased from 30 chips to 45 chips. If they KO another player with a 30 bounty, they would bank an additional 15 chips, and another 15 would be added to their 45, increasing the bounty on their head from 45 to 60. If they win the tourney, they keep that 60 in addition to getting a payout for 1st, and the bounties they instantly banked.

I can't wait to see how this all plays out, seems very exciting!
BaxtersClub

Post by BaxtersClub »

I haven't done one on Poker Mavens yet. Hopefully this week. I have, however, had quite a few on PokerStars before moving my club over. You have the general gist down. And yes, it can be very exciting. With a lot of players, the bounties can become VERY significant. If you do have a dominant performer, and that player wins their own bounty, you can end up with one player taking a huge share of the overall prize pool. But depending on how the bounties go, it can also end up being a more balanced payout than a traditional game.

There is also a thing called a "Total PKO" which doesn't have any other prizes, just the progressive bounties. I assume this can be done here by just setting the buy-in to 0 and the bounty to whatever the total would be. Those can be really fun too.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

BaxtersClub wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:15 pm There is also a thing called a "Total PKO" which doesn't have any other prizes, just the progressive bounties. I assume this can be done here by just setting the buy-in to 0 and the bounty to whatever the total would be. Those can be really fun too.
The bounty is subtracted from the buy-in so making them equal would be a total pko such that there is no prize pool, only bounties.
jadelaar

Post by jadelaar »

@Kent,
Thanks for adding this feature. You're nailing the user feedback in V7.

Regarding the removal of the ICM Chop from the Progressive KO, I believe I know why you did it: the ICM chop wouldn't apply well to the bounties because they are progressive.

My response would be that the player just keeps their own bounty as they've already "earned" the progressive part of that bounty. So, would you consider a chop set up where the prize pool was chopped using ICM, and the players kept their bounties?

Jesse.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

jadelaar wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:06 pm Regarding the removal of the ICM Chop from the Progressive KO, I believe I know why you did it: the ICM chop wouldn't apply well to the bounties because they are progressive.

My response would be that the player just keeps their own bounty as they've already "earned" the progressive part of that bounty. So, would you consider a chop set up where the prize pool was chopped using ICM, and the players kept their bounties?
Yeah I debated (with myself) about whether to allow it. At a final table, those prog bounties are likely to be a bigger factor than the remaining prize pool. But those don't factor into the chop calculation as everyone would keep their own bounty. And thus no one could automatically assume that accepting the ICM chop would be a fair and wise decision. For example the short stack could have 1 chip remaining but have a majority of the bounties on his head. At the very least, I would need to expand the chart and show everyone's bounty. Maybe in a future update.