Button Move Bug in Ring games

Report bugs found in Poker Mavens
riclesb

Button Move Bug in Ring games

Post by riclesb »

This i believe is related to how you handle the button if someone gets felted or leaves.
I know you use the "Button always moves rule" and understand why.
here is the scenario and what has been happening in one of our games.
a new player sits in and wants to "wait for the BB" to play, as the BB is about to get to him the previous big blind after he folds "sits out" (avoiding the small blind) the guy waiting x number of hands already gets skipped over as the Botton passes him by and goes to the player to his left.
Once people figured out that they could do this (1. skip the small blind and 2. annoy and tease the guy trying to come in by making him have to post or wait for another whole round and then hope the small blind to be player to his right wont do it again) this then forces the new player to post in order to get into the game.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Button Move Bug in Ring games

Post by Kent Briggs »

riclesb wrote:This i believe is related to how you handle the button if someone gets felted or leaves.
I know you use the "Button always moves rule" and understand why.
here is the scenario and what has been happening in one of our games.
a new player sits in and wants to "wait for the BB" to play, as the BB is about to get to him the previous big blind after he folds "sits out" (avoiding the small blind) the guy waiting x number of hands already gets skipped over as the Botton passes him by and goes to the player to his left.
Once people figured out that they could do this (1. skip the small blind and 2. annoy and tease the guy trying to come in by making him have to post or wait for another whole round and then hope the small blind to be player to his right wont do it again) this then forces the new player to post in order to get into the game.
This may be an annoyance, but it's not a bug. It happens at all poker sites. If the player wants in he can do so directly behind the button with a BB post. New players are never allowed to start in the SB or Dealer position unless it's heads-up play and holding the button two hands in a row would give that button player an unfair advantage. This is also true in tournaments when changing tables. By the way, the guy posting the BB and then sitting out the next hand is only hurting himself as he has to skip the button and post that SB anyway if he returns.
riclesb

Post by riclesb »

i understand why.
but I believe (95%) that when BB sits out and comes back in he is not forced to post the small blind as he should be, thereby gaining an advantage (yes he misses his button as a cost)
if he was posting SB it wouldn't be so bad but he can still force the other player to post after the button passes as you suggest... but still not totally fair to that player as he will have to have to post two times in one round. If that is true of other sites (that they can prevent a player from entering a game without posting) i just never noticed and maybe just the way it is, but player doing the siting out should be forced to pay his SB.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

riclesb wrote:but I believe (95%) that when BB sits out and comes back in he is not forced to post the small blind as he should be
The SB goes in as a dead blind, directly to the pot like an ante. Unless that player waits until the BB comes around and then he'll post a normal BB and then SB on the following hand. If you have a hand history where this is not happening then I'd like to see it.
riclesb

Post by riclesb »

apologies of course you are correct