Client Stuff

Add your suggestions for improving Poker Mavens
Alex

Client Stuff

Post by Alex »

Loving the updates kent, here's some more ideas to think about. Hehe, I know they are a lot so let me know your thoughts!

1. Allowing the users to change the look in some way of the client? Colors?

2. In the chat, allow smileys?

3. Player tags

Think someone is a fish? Then tag them so you know the next time you meet them at the table. Choose your own custom descriptions to go with our range of player tags.

To tag a player while at the tables simply click on a player and choose a tag icon. You can also type notes on the player and even choose whether you want to see this players table chat or not.

4. customized trophy or ribbon to show off your achievements?

5. Expose one card, instead of both?

6. When you have won a hand, sometimes players are left wondering if they should have stayed in the hand against you. If your at your home game or in a card club sometimes a player will ask to see what cards would've come if they hadn't folded, this is called Rabbit Hunting.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Client Stuff

Post by Kent Briggs »

Alex wrote: 1. Allowing the users to change the look in some way of the client? Colors?
When I start on version 3, I plan to put in some skinning features. But that'll be up to the admin, not the users.
2. In the chat, allow smileys?
I'd have to check to see if that's even possible in the list control I'm using but I suspect that feature would probably annoying a lot of people.
3. Player tags
Player notes are on my to-do list. However, a major limitation with the Flash player is that you can't do any direct file i/o to the user's local hard drive.
4. customized trophy or ribbon to show off your achievements?
Probably best to implement something like that separately on a web site.
5. Expose one card, instead of both?
On most of the major online sites, they allow loser mucking at showdown but they write the cards to the hand history file so that anyone can go look them up anyway. They do that because anyone can always ask the dealer to see non-folded cards. So it wouldn't really matter if it was one card or two and would just slow the game down.
6. When you have won a hand, sometimes players are left wondering if they should have stayed in the hand against you. If your at your home game or in a card club sometimes a player will ask to see what cards would've come if they hadn't folded, this is called Rabbit Hunting.
Although that would be possible now, it won't be in the future because I plan to change the way the deck is shuffled for better security. Currently an entire representation of a deck is shuffled and assigned to a table, so the order of cards is fixed for the remainder of the hand. In the future, I plan to pull cards from a deck only when actually needed. Since other tables will be doing the same, the number coming from the random number generator will depend in part on when it was requested and thus the remaining community cards will not be same as if the hand played out naturally.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Kent Briggs wrote: On most of the major online sites, they allow loser mucking at showdown
Actually it just dawned on me that you were probably referring to the winner mucking when there is no showdown, as is an option now. The only problem with the one card thing is I'd have to redesign the button system (which currently has room for three across) to four buttons: Show Left, Show Right, Show Both, and Muck Both. Currently I only give 4 seconds to decide when there are only two choices so I wouldn't really be keen on more choices and/or more time that would slow the game down.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Kent Briggs wrote: Player notes are on my to-do list. However, a major limitation with the Flash player is that you can't do any direct file i/o to the user's local hard drive.
Cool thanks! How would that work?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Alex wrote:
Kent Briggs wrote: Player notes are on my to-do list. However, a major limitation with the Flash player is that you can't do any direct file i/o to the user's local hard drive.
Cool thanks! How would that work?
Flash does have it's own "cookie" system where some things can be saved. I use that already so it remembers things like the sound options. But there's a limit on how much can be put there so a busy note taker could end up using all the allocated space. The other option would be to store it server-side. But there would be an expectation of privacy there so they would need to be encrypted. Neither option is all that appealing which is why I haven't tried to implement it yet.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Oh I see, well definitely keep us updated, it'd be a pretty cool feature to have if you can figure out how to get around those problems.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Oh I forgot to add, maybe something like customer avatars? If you can find a way for it to be hosted on the web server that would even be better?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Alex wrote:Oh I forgot to add, maybe something like customer avatars? If you can find a way for it to be hosted on the web server that would even be better?
That's a long term goal. A whole avatar management system will have to be built around that. Currently they are hard coded into the flash client.