iphone app

Add your suggestions for improving Poker Mavens
madcow

iphone app

Post by madcow »

how about an app for iphone / smart phone ?
Ozzy1969

Re: iphone app

Post by Ozzy1969 »

sounds cool :)
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

The Poker Mavens client is currently built in Flash and Apple does not support Flash on its iOS devices.
madcow

Post by madcow »

Hi Kent,
I think it does now .. it supported since last year I think, I have an app that stream the Flash Media Server from iphone/ipad and it's written totally in flash. I pm you the app link to try out.

T
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

madcow wrote:I think it does now
No, Steve Jobs was adamant about not allowing Flash on iOS devices. Certainly not with the Safari browser. You would have to jailbreak the device and install something like Frash. Or use something like SkyFire which renders the Flash on their own servers and then converts it to HTML5 before sending it on with a performance hit.
I have an app that stream the Flash Media Server from iphone/ipad and it's written totally in flash. I pm you the app link to try out.
I bet it only streams Flash video (FLV). I doubt that's going to work with an interactive SWF Flash application, which has to execute on the client side. The only Apple device I currently own is a 3rd generation iPod Nano that I got with frequent player points from PokerStars so I couldn't test it anyway. :)
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

By the way, one of the reasons for using Flash is that it has support for TCP/IP socket connections, which allows for instant two-way communication between the client and server, giving it better performance than a typical web app using AJAX. However, once the WebSocket protocol finally gets worked out in HTML5 and is fully supported by all browsers, I plan to migrate there. Then it would run on iOS devices, directly in the browser without having to write an app and getting it approved in the app store.