Crash recovery for tournaments?

Add your suggestions for improving Poker Mavens
Demented

Crash recovery for tournaments?

Post by Demented »

Is it possible to get a crash recovery for large tournaments that crash while they are being played, so that they can be restarted with users where they were at the time of, or before the crash happened? Tournaments with 100+ players still seem to crash the software.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Crash recovery for tournaments?

Post by Kent Briggs »

Demented wrote:Is it possible to get a crash recovery for large tournaments that crash while they are being played, so that they can be restarted with users where they were at the time of, or before the crash happened?
Currently that's not possible. But even if it were, players would usually have no idea if they should wait around a few minutes or a few hours to see if could be restarted. So it's more fair just to issue refunds like the major online site do.
Tournaments with 100+ players still seem to crash the software.
You should email me the details when that happens.
Demented

Post by Demented »

Kent Briggs wrote:
Demented wrote:Is it possible to get a crash recovery for large tournaments that crash while they are being played, so that they can be restarted with users where they were at the time of, or before the crash happened?
Currently that's not possible. But even if it were, players would usually have no idea if they should wait around a few minutes or a few hours to see if could be restarted. So it's more fair just to issue refunds like the major online site do.
Tournaments with 100+ players still seem to crash the software.
You should email me the details when that happens.
Weren't many details other then the software stopped responding. 149 logins. 2 tournaments running with 138 users total; 98 seats filled in one, 52 in another. No error logs, no error events on the server, and the server did not go offline. Just started running really slow before it stopped responding.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Demented wrote: Weren't many details other then the software stopped responding. 149 logins. 2 tournaments running with 138 users total; 98 seats filled in one, 52 in another. No error logs, no error events on the server, and the server did not go offline. Just started running really slow before it stopped responding.
What about the hand history files?
How many hands were played?
Did the whole site go down?
Did the ring games get slower while that was happening?
Was there a big CPU and/or memory load on the server?
Demented

Post by Demented »

Nothing abnormal in the HH files. The software stopped responding in the middle of some hands.
Don't know how many hands played. Don't really have time to look through and individually count every hand for 20 tables. I'm going to estimate around 300 hands between the two tournaments.
The main site and server stayed up and had no issues. It was only the software that went down.
Ring games slowed down as well, but not as bad. They were still playable.
CPU load/memory load on the server was normal. CPU was below 30% usage, currently is between 10% and 20% with 91 logins, 76 filled seats, and 13 occupied tables. Unsure about memory usage, but with 768MB physical and 768MB virtual, I doubt there was an issue there with PM being the only program running.
Demented

Post by Demented »

Well, I narrowed it down from tournaments to a large number of connections in general. Happened again with somewhere between 96 and 105 users logged in. No error events on the VPS server, no error logs on the game client (last recorded error was an access violation at address, about 6 minutes before the software stopped responding) , no spikes in CPU or memory usage. 3rd time in 2 days this has happened.

I did just reinstall the software and hopefully there was just a small issue when I originally upgraded.

Not really sure what is going on...
If you need any more info, I'll do my best to get what ever you need.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Demented wrote:Well, I narrowed it down from tournaments to a large number of connections in general. Happened again with somewhere between 96 and 105 users logged in. No error events on the VPS server, no error logs on the game client (last recorded error was an access violation at address, about 6 minutes before the software stopped responding) , no spikes in CPU or memory usage. 3rd time in 2 days this has happened.
If there was an access violation error on the Logs tab then there should be a corresponding entry in an error log file (assuming you have "Log errors" set to Yes).
Demented

Post by Demented »

TCPServerDisconnect error: Access violation at address 00415B46 in module 'PMServer.exe'. Read of address 00000024
Demented

Post by Demented »

Happened again today, though it did not get as far as not responding since I closed and restarted it while it was up to keep people from losing their chips mid hand or durring tournaments. CPU usage was normal, RAM usage normal. No other programs were running on the server at the time, and I even contacted the server host via live chat at the time the client was slowing and lagging a lot, and there was no abnormal usage on the server and I was informed that it is fine and there are no issues. The last recorded error log was:
2009-12-05 19:05:57|Error saving account file:C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Poker Mavens\Accounts\Huskerstew.dat
2009-12-05 19:05:57|Error saving account file:C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Poker Mavens\Accounts\Huskerstew.dat

6 times.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Demented wrote: 2009-12-05 19:05:57|Error saving account file:C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Poker Mavens\Accounts\Huskerstew.dat
The only thing that should cause a file save error is running out of free disk space or another program has that file open and is preventing Poker Mavens from writing to it.