Deny creating multiple accounts from same PC

Add your suggestions for improving Poker Mavens
nick

Deny creating multiple accounts from same PC

Post by nick »

Hello,
A great option would be to "Deny creating a new account from the same PC" to stop those abusers from filling the server with fake registrations just to put their hands on the free chips offered upon new registrations.

This option will spare us hours every day trying to locate accounts with same PC ID to delete them manualy, anyway we always get to them too late because the chips are already used.

Please try to consider this option in your future releases

Thanks a lot

Nick
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Deny creating multiple accounts from same PC

Post by Kent Briggs »

nick wrote:A great option would be to "Deny creating a new account from the same PC" to stop those abusers from filling the server with fake registrations just to put their hands on the free chips offered upon new registrations.
Are you using the email validation feature?
nick

Post by nick »

Yes of course i'm using the email validation but creating multiple free email accounts is something easy and not considered to be a security feature to stop multiple account creation from same pc.

Regards

Nick
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

nick wrote:Yes of course i'm using the email validation but creating multiple free email accounts is something easy and not considered to be a security feature to stop multiple account creation from same pc.
It's not an easy problem to solve because Flash doesn't support any kind of hardware-based GUID so the currently PC ID is just a saved random number, which could be reset if the player knew where to look. Also it's just 32 bits, so a busy site would eventually run into the "birthday paradox" problem of ID collisions and it would begin denying accounts to legitimate players. That part could be solved by generating a GUID on the server and getting the client to store it but it doesn't solve the first problem of being erased and reset.
CanadaWest

Post by CanadaWest »

Nick,

You might also consider the fact that 2, 3 or more people might be living in the same house, using the same computer. Do you want to deny all but one of them an account?

There are some things you just can't control. You CAN monitor the situation, eg. watch for repeated chip transfers that look like one person padding an account from a bunch of duplicate accounts. You can black list the worst offenders.

We don't try to keep people out. Let everyone in and then sort out the bad apples.

Cheers!
George
(CanadaWest)
www.playersclub.ca
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

CanadaWest wrote:You might also consider the fact that 2, 3 or more people might be living in the same house, using the same computer.
I bet that just disabling both "Allow chip transfers"and "Allow duplicate PCs" would likely solve most of the problems, along with the email validation. Someone would really have to go out of their way just to get some free chips.
CanadaWest

Post by CanadaWest »

We allow duplicate ip and computers, so family, roommates etc can use the same computer. The way we control the account padding is at the payout stage. If any player wants to make a withdrawal, one of the rules is no more than 10% of their chips can have come from transfer from other accounts.
George
(CanadaWest)
www.playersclub.ca
nick

Post by nick »

Guys the problem isn't just the "transfer" issue, they keep making free accounts and loosing the free chips to a single account then cashout, I have to dig into the log files to track such action. This is happening daily & hourly causing a nightmare. Blocking a PC ID from creating multiple accounts is the one and only solution , "email verification" and "blocking transfer" isn't a solution.

So .. we ask Mr. Kent to look into this matter and try to include us the option to "deny creating multiple accounts from same PC ID" although he already replied and said that this would be difficult but i'm sure he can do it if he decides to :)
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

nick wrote:So .. we ask Mr. Kent to look into this matter and try to include us the option to "deny creating multiple accounts from same PC ID" although he already replied and said that this would be difficult but i'm sure he can do it if he decides to :)
There's nothing I can do about the limitations of Flash. You can blacklist players by PC ID and/or IP and you can disable the ability to create new accounts from inside the client and use your own system for adding new players.
CanadaWest

Post by CanadaWest »

Kent Briggs wrote: use your own system for adding new players.
LOL! As Kent so often reminds us, "PHP is your friend! Use it."

Still think you want to overdo the security. You wouldn't want me, my wife and our son to all join your site?? We only have one computer in the house.
George
(CanadaWest)
www.playersclub.ca