Don't unregister from tournaments

Add your suggestions for improving Poker Mavens
imperialized

Don't unregister from tournaments

Post by imperialized »

I have had a lot of users complain when I have to restart my server and it unregisters them from tournaments. If a tourny is scheduled for a later time can we make it so they dont get unregistered?
David Lallone
http://www.whypaypoker.com
WhyPayPoker Owner
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Don't unregister from tournaments

Post by Kent Briggs »

imperialized wrote:I have had a lot of users complain when I have to restart my server and it unregisters them from tournaments. If a tourny is scheduled for a later time can we make it so they dont get unregistered?
Once the system goes offline, the tournament object is freed and it loses all memory of registrations. If the downtime is planned, you could write a function using the API that grabs and saves the registration lists and restores them when you come back online. That could also be done manually.
imperialized

Post by imperialized »

Will this ever be implemented in future releases? Or should I write a script
David Lallone
http://www.whypaypoker.com
WhyPayPoker Owner
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

imperialized wrote:Will this ever be implemented in future releases? Or should I write a script
You should write a script but how often are you taking the server down while people are registered for tournaments?
monsterix

Post by monsterix »

Kent Briggs wrote:
imperialized wrote:Will this ever be implemented in future releases? Or should I write a script
You should write a script but how often are you taking the server down while people are registered for tournaments?
Hi Kent,

What is happened server down by the hosting provider for x reasons??

regards.
ManiakPoker.com: An other poker experience :)

http://www.maniakpoker.com
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

monsterix wrote: What is happened server down by the hosting provider for x reasons??
There's a Crash Recovery setting that writes chips balances to a file for each table at the beginning of each hand. The files are deleted when play ends normally. Each time the server starts, it looks for those files indicating that there was a non-orderly shutdown previously. It then refunds those accounts. In the case of tournaments that haven't started, it just refunds the buy-ins since it doesn't know if the server was taken down on purpose for just a minute or for some other reason that lasted for hours or days.
madcow

Post by madcow »

Kent Briggs wrote:
imperialized wrote:I have had a lot of users complain when I have to restart my server and it unregisters them from tournaments. If a tourny is scheduled for a later time can we make it so they dont get unregistered?
Once the system goes offline, the tournament object is freed and it loses all memory of registrations. If the downtime is planned, you could write a function using the API that grabs and saves the registration lists and restores them when you come back online. That could also be done manually.
how do i do this in API ? .. save and restore tourney's registration .. this is neat ..

thanks
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

madcow wrote: how do i do this in API ? .. save and restore tourney's registration .. this is neat ..
Use the TournamentsWaiting command to get the list of registrants prior to shutting down. Either store the names in a file, database, or hold them in a web form. Then when you come back online, retrieve the names and use the TournamentsRegister command in a loop to put everyone back in.
rjones33

Post by rjones33 »

I wrote a vb program that just copies all the files from the Crash recovery directory and stores them in a temp directory. When I bring the server back online, my program loops through the files in the temp directory and re-registers the players. Definitely worth the time...
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

rjones33 wrote:I wrote a vb program that just copies all the files from the Crash recovery directory and stores them in a temp directory. When I bring the server back online, my program loops through the files in the temp directory and re-registers the players. Definitely worth the time...
That'll work too although it requires your program to be running on the same machine as the game server, whereas the all-API method does not.