Custom starting chips

Add your suggestions for improving Poker Mavens
Grim

Custom starting chips

Post by Grim »

This is quite the odd request and I can see why you don't want to spend time on it, but I'll explain why.

We have a (live) poker "season" with x number of tournament where x-n tournament counts against a total. The winner gets a percentage of the "season-pot" (i.e. a portion taken from all buyins in previous tournaments) and a free seat in the Final Table. The rest of the "season-pot" is added as bonus to the final table/tournament (depending on the size of your operation. Table in my case) prize pool. So far, so good - the software handles this. However, the better you placed before the final table - the more chips you get. So PokerMaven-related, this would mean that when I award a player with a ticket - I could also either
a) give bonus chips, or
b) define start stack

I should also be able to define the buy-in cost. Other home games might run a discounted price for the top-scoring players instead of additional chips like we do. Other home games might award the player who eliminated most of other players some sort of bonus (discount, chips, 2nd chance/rebuy, etc).
Goodshoe

Re: Custom starting chips

Post by Goodshoe »

We have a similar situation with our live poker league (which is now online for COVID pandemic). The "championship table" consists of ranked players 1st through 10th place for the year. They get different starting stacks for the final tournament, according to rank. 1st place gets $13.5K, down to $10K for 7th through 10th place.

I'm not using tickets, but what I'm going to do is have each player re-buy the appropriate number of times, prior to or just at start of tournament, so that each player starts with correct chip count. In my case, I can set this up in tournament settings, as follows:
Starting chips 10,000
Add-on chips 500
Rebuy cost 0
Rebuy levels 1 (can only rebuy during first level)
Rebuy threshold 13,500 (not that this number is greater than starting stack, so players can re-buy immediately)
Maximum re-buys -1 (for unlimited), or in my case, 7 (for total 3,500 in rebuy chips)

Then, at start of tournament, have 1st place player re-buy 7 times, 2nd place re-buy 6 times, and so on.

We are going to try this out for our championship table, in December. I expect that it will work well.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Goodshoe wrote:I'm not using tickets, but what I'm going to do is have each player re-buy the appropriate number of times
Why not just use the Bonus Ticket feature that was added in 6.24 to set your starting stacks?
Goodshoe

Post by Goodshoe »

Because I don't (yet) know how to. I will investigate. Thank you.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

See the announcement post on 6.24 for an explanation and example:

http://www.briggsoft.com/forums/viewtop ... f=7&t=3340
Goodshoe

Post by Goodshoe »

Great. I'm glad I posted something here. I will use Bonus tickets for our Championship game, and just call them "Bonus" prefix as suggested.

A couple of questions for clarification:

1. Let's say a player holds a "Bonus1000" ticket. Upon registering for the tournament, does player have to do anything to claim the 1000 bonus chips, or are they automatically added to his starting stack?

2. Do I have to use the regular "Ticket" function at the same time? Or can I just enable the "Bonus ticket" function while leaving the "Ticket" field blank?

Thanks for your ongoing help,
Scott
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Goodshoe wrote:1. Let's say a player holds a "Bonus1000" ticket. Upon registering for the tournament, does player have to do anything to claim the 1000 bonus chips, or are they automatically added to his starting stack?
It's automatic.
2. Do I have to use the regular "Ticket" function at the same time? Or can I just enable the "Bonus ticket" function while leaving the "Ticket" field blank?
No, they are unrelated. Leave Ticket blank if a ticket is not required for entry. Or if one is required, pick a different name for it.