Crash prevention

Add your suggestions for improving Poker Mavens
needsupport22

Crash prevention

Post by needsupport22 »

Currently PM allows what the users want in terms of threads being used for eg ring games or tournaments and gives no indication of how well this is going and ends up crashing which makes it go from 100 to 0 basically, is there anything you can do to make it go from 100 to 50 instead hypothetically speaking where the client continues to run but for example freezes a tournament and puts those threads to use elsewhere but continues to offer ring games, where it prevents the overstressing delta to be added?

Another thing that could work here is a way to hook multiple PM servers in a pre-installed or pre-set manner instead of requiring to ghetto code everything together to be able to scale as currently the 500 player max is an imaginary number since the software on our website often crashes at 150 active connections with maybe 3 tournaments running with virtually infinitely overhead left on server resources.

We would consider a private deal for such solutions and would pay a heft premium (Many times the current cost of a PM 5 Gold license) for a working solution to improve scaling, cheers.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Crash prevention

Post by Kent Briggs »

needsupport22 wrote:Currently PM allows what the users want in terms of threads being used for eg ring games or tournaments and gives no indication of how well this is going and ends up crashing which makes it go from 100 to 0 basically, is there anything you can do to make it go from 100 to 50 instead
There are a few things you can do: Don't put a 100 ring games online at once if only a few of them are being used. Offline tables do no use a thread. Same for tournaments. And don't allocate more tables for a tournament than will actually be used. Make use of the "Max FP/PP Connection" settings on the system tab to prevent too many logins and too many connections from a single IP. Use the Windows Task Manager to keep an eye on the Thread count for PMServer.exe.
ftpjesus

Post by ftpjesus »

Reality is you need to consider what you need for hardware requirements.. The two key issues are the Processor and Memory.. I have actually run a ton of cash games empty without crashing but again it boils down to CPU ability (I5 vs I7 and also threads and the speed of the processor itself..). There are various options for VPS out there which you may want to look into.. I know that OVH has some options and I also found a VPS over in Europe which is in a similar price range with 256GB RAM and decent processor capacity.. I don't know if you are using any of the mavensdev bots but those aren't so much thread demanding as they can be ram demanding but less so under V2 then the older V1 bots.
Owner Operator of (TBA)
http://www.( TBA ) .com (Home Page)
http://www. (TBA) .net (Play Money)
http://www. (TBA) .eu (BTC Token tied currency and Stable Coins through Crypto quasi real money play)
needsupport22

Post by needsupport22 »

Kent Briggs wrote: There are a few things you can do: Don't put a 100 ring games online at once if only a few of them are being used. Offline tables do no use a thread. Same for tournaments. And don't allocate more tables for a tournament than will actually be used. Make use of the "Max FP/PP Connection" settings on the system tab to prevent too many logins and too many connections from a single IP. Use the Windows Task Manager to keep an eye on the Thread count for PMServer.exe.
Well we want to always have these ring games available as to give our players as much choice as possible, as for tournaments currently we already have cut seats to below what we could get; we could run tournaments filled with 500 players though we max out at 240 to potentially prevent PM from crashing, though without much success as the issue still occurs somewhat regularly. I don't think you've remotely answered my question and instead gave me a vague hint of; PM cannot handle what you want so just live with it and set limits so PM doesn't even have to try and use up your server resources?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

needsupport22 wrote:Well we want to always have these ring games available as to give our players as much choice as possible
You can use the API to put tables on and offline as demand warrants. But that was just general advice not to have too many tables running the same stakes if they are all empty.
I don't think you've remotely answered my question and instead gave me a vague hint of; PM cannot handle what you want so just live with it and set limits so PM doesn't even have to try and use up your server resources?
PM has always been a low cost single server gaming system. There's a reason it only costs $500 (or $100 or $30) with no royalties as compared to competitors that charge $10K to $50K plus royalties. That said, you could still split your site across multiple servers (with a separate license for each) and tie them together with a central web page login.